Avon/ Mary kay

Can you realistically make money without really leaving the house? We only have one car right now and DH uses it all day to work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Money & Work

• I think honestly direct sales is a people business especially when you are dealing with skincare/cosmetics.You will need to hand your brochures to people,meet people etc to get clients.Is there any time that you have to where you could have the car.If you choose either one,I would have an open house and go from there.There are other businesses out there where you can work mostly online,but with everything it takes time.
    Nattiesmom9603

Answer by Nattiesmom9603 at 5:29 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I know that's what I was assuming. DH has the car 6 out of the 7 days and the other day we are running around. I could do it then but I feel it wouldn't be enough to really make it worth it. Thanks for the advice ;-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:32 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I suppose it depends on your sales skills, the size of your network, and alternate ways to get around. You also have to be able to live with the ethics of the company your work for.

Before buying or selling any body care products, it is important to check the safety of the ingredients. I like the Skin Deep database maintained by the Environmental Working Group (the folks who publish the guide to pesticides in produce). www.ewg.org

Avon and Mary Kay, among others, make a big public show of their support of breast cancer research and victims, yet refuse to stop using cancer causing ingredients in their

Answer by rkoloms at 6:34 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Mary Kay-people generally expect you to keep product on hand, which can be expensive to start with
    Avon-since most don't require payment until the product is delievered, you can lose money if they don't pay and don't take their stuff, then you are stuck with product that you have to sell, also, you have to order books each time since it changes every 2-4 weeks so if you give a book and that person doesn't order or give the book back, the cost accumulates
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:11 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I have my own car, 7 days a week and I lost so much money selling AVON. Like a PP stated. You have to buy the brochures every two weeks, you have to get the books out, network with people, take the orders, and deliver the products. If someone does not pay, you are stuck. The only people that make money are those that recruit 100 or so other people to do the selling. IDK much about MK but I know that the AVON market is so overly saturated due to them pushing recruiting that it is hard to find an area without TEN AVON ladies already.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:26 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I place catalogs/handouts when I do my regular running. I never make a special trip just to get the word out or anything like. I make my business work on MY schedule :-)
    I place ads on Cafe Mom, send email to friends and family, schools, churches..etc. That's how I got started and that's how I keep going. It's been great!
    BUT...I don't sell Avon or Mary Kay.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 9:17 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Yes, have not tried it that way but, you can start out small and have a websight. You also can offer a product discount if customers come to you rather then you drive it to them. With mary kay anyway. I don't know about avon.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I currently sell avon and i don't make anything after paying for the books. I don't have a huge customer base. I sell to my mom, sister, and a couple of friends. I leave books in the apt lobby, shopping carts, restaurants, even a doctors office and nobody outside of the people i know have ordered. I want to quit selling it BUT I like the 'Whats New' where you get stuff cheaper than everyone else and it keeps me a little bit busy
    starmoonlight

Answer by starmoonlight at 9:31 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I've sold Avon for the past 6.5 years and made a good living. I make about $1000 a month and more around the holidays.

I walk the neighborhood and the community centre, the strip mall to put signs and my brochures out. community newsletter. I let the kids ring doorbells or just put the books in mailboxes.

I don't have to drive anywhere - unless its order delivery day when I do like to drive - b ut I could take the wagon.
    I have a website, and a facebook page. so some of it is word of mouth.
    starting out you do have a LOT of support if you ask for it.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:34 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I let the kids ring doorbells or just put the books in mailboxes.

I am not trying to upset you but you do realize that it is illegal to put anything in or on anyone's mailbox? If you do not believe me then pose this question on the forum's at MyAVON.com and let your fellow AVON ladies tell you. It is a big No No with AVON to place the brochures in or on mailboxes. And this has nothing to do with what area you are in. This is a Federal Law. Ask your postman. If someone gets mad because a book is in or on their mailbox and decides to report it, you could be fined up to $1,000.

Again, not trying to offend you but I would hate to see someone get fined for trying to make a living.

Now when you say $1,000 a month do you mean straight profit? After Demo's, samples, brochures, and office supplies to maintain a business? If it is, I would like to ask how many are in your downline? That is where the money's at. Not sales.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 10:23 AM on Nov. 11, 2009