What to get a 16 month old for Christmas?

Im stumped on what to get my daughter for Christmas. Ive ordered her own set of kid furniture ( couch and chair) and books and clothes but not sure toy wise to get her....What are you getting your kids for Christmas this year?

falanlee

Asked by falanlee at 7:02 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My son is interested in music so we are looking at a guitar or keyboard. He would probably love drums too, but we are expecting a baby and I do not want to have to take them away shortly after Christmas! Since my son is 2 and we are expecting I am going to get him a toddler backpack with his name on it so he can carry his own stuff to class on Sundays! As far as suggestions you have covered what we did last year. We did clothes and books and a few cute sippy cups and big boy plates and silverware type things.
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 7:49 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I was thinking about getting my son one of those Fisher Price basket ball hoops, and maybe some sort of pretend tool set (with no small parts of course!). My son is 15 months now, I want him to have toys that encourage either physical activity or imaginary play. Maybe a make believe doctor kit would be good for your daughter? Imagination play helps children develop language skills.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:51 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Oh, also any sensory toys or motor skill toys like play doh, finger paints, building blocks (big legos or something like them) or a sandbox for the spring are all great toys too.
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 7:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It sounds like you've already got the makings for a great Christmas for your daughter! At 16 months old, she's not going to understand if she gets no presents, 1 present, or 100.

I'd suggest taking the money you'd spend on toys she probably won't play with very long anyway and start a college fund, or something that - it's something that will get a lot more use!

DS will be almost 3 this Christmas, and he'll get a couple of small presents and a nice donation to his college fun - in previous years, he'd get one small present to open but because we couldn't not get him anything, but this is the first year he'll get more than that! We'll probably keep up the trend until he's 5 or 6. We do the same for his birthday as well.

If you feel like it won't be Christmas without toys, though, then I'd suggest going with something that helps her learn - like another poster said, building blocks, shape sorting toys, etc.
    PrincessZ20

Answer by PrincessZ20 at 8:02 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• we're getting our 3yo a table and chair set, and prob some Lightning McQueen(Cars) toys.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 8:49 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My daughter will be 16 months old for Christmas and I tried play-doh and she tried to eat it so i would wait until she quits putting things in her mouth. My daughter loves to color (make lines) So we are buying her more coloring books and crayons. We also have finger paints. She loves balls so I found this ball pit for her age which i know she'll love. If you dont have one already you can get one of those Fisher Price slides. I will also buy her more books which she loves. Wooden blocks, big Lego blocks......I would just go to toys r us and I'm sure ideas will come to you.
    drs1206

Answer by drs1206 at 9:05 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• When dd was that age, i got her the fisher price train with all the animals. it IS expensive but so worth it. The peaices are huge so no choking hazard plus, it is noisy and fun and helps them leanr animals!
    Also, try the fisher price big red barn or airplane. really any Fisher Price little people set will do wonderfully.
    I normally don't "advertise" a specific brand like this, but I love the Little people--plus the sets come with DVD's! LOL
    mama4Christ361

Answer by mama4Christ361 at 9:41 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Bath time toys are always a HUGE hit! Letters for in the tub etc. Also maybe look into the Little People Barn, and other toys in that arena. They are fantastic for imagination play. Also anything outdoorsy like a water table, sand box or play type table would be fun!
    swimmachic23

Answer by swimmachic23 at 10:21 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• thanks for all the ideas....I have added some great things to her list that she'll love !
    falanlee

Answer by falanlee at 12:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2009