How do I get 8 month old off bottle at night?

Okay so please don't bash...but my DD will ONLY take a bottle laying down. She wakes up about 3 times a night for a bottle. Dr says to try and get out the night time feedings. Can someone tell me how to do this? Shes waking up screaming until she gets a bottle. I don't know what to do! Thanks for the kind and helpful replies in advance!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't give her the bottle. You will lose about 2 weeks of good sleep, but she will eventually get the idea. Giving in to her screaming shows her that is how to get the bottle. good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Don't stop cold turkey, that is just mean to the baby. What I did with my oldest (and doing with my baby now who is 10 months old) is I am starting to water down the bottles slowly until it is just water since water at night is fine. It takes about a month to switch completely.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:46 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Make sure you feed hera bottle right before bed maybe put cereal in it to make it more filling. If she does wake up to eat find some way else to comfort her. She's using it to comfore her so I would cuddle her instead. My daughter is 15 months old and sometimes she wakes up in the middle of the night. I just rub her face and sing to her and she goes right back to sleep. I know it's difficult but it's worth it in the end.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:59 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I like purpleducky's suggestion, since night feedings can also lead to tooth decay. My ds still wakes up at night some, though randomly. I've read in one of the sleep books (Ferber or Weissbuth) that you can decrease the amount in the bottle by an ounce or 1/2 ounce each night time feeding, so eventually baby isn't waking up for the p.m. snack. Good luck mama!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 9:46 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• my ds also takes a bottle. one or twice a nite. i exclusevely pump. so he gest bm. he drinks 4 oz
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:12 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Thanks ladies for the help. I am thankful for your replies! Thanks for not being negative. These answers really helped! I think I am going to just start watering it down. That is a GREAT idea.
    Anonymous

• My daughter is almost 7 1/2 months and she always wakes up to eat a few times a night. I've had people tell me that she should be sleeping through the night by now, and i've had others tell me that she's obviously a hungry little girl. I feed her at least three times through the day including cereal and fruits, veggies, meats, and all that stuff, and she gets plenty of formula during the day too. I've come to the conclusion that no matter what you feed them during the day and right before bedtime, if they are hungry, they will let you know, day or night. Just remember every baby is different.
    All4truelove

Answer by All4truelove at 1:44 AM on Nov. 12, 2009