Cleaning cast iron

I just got a bacon press and have no idea how to clean it without causing it to rust.
Oops forgot the ??? symbol

Jademom07

Asked by Jademom07 at 7:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My mom washes hers like normal. NO DISHWASHER. Just make sure to dry it right away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:04 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I usually wait until things dry and crust up a little and then wipe them down with a paper towel. If it is just for bacon I would not wipe all the grease off, because it will season the cast iron and make your bacon taste better in the future.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:05 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I've always handwashed mine...just make sure it dries all the way and rusting won't be a problem
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 8:06 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• What happens if it does rust slightly? Can you clean it or is it now bad (just in case I screw up, lol)
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:08 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• After washing my mom puts a light coat of oil on it. helps to season the cast iron and it wont rust.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 8:08 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I think I'm going to start doing what coala does...makes sense :)
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 8:09 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• No it is not bad if it rusts some. IDK how you would deal with a bacon press but I know that with the skillets, if they get slight rust, you can put a layer of grease on them and then bake them ( empty of course) in the oven for a while, then wipe it out with a paper towel. The rust will wipe right out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• thanks Anon!
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:16 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• We always handwashed ours then dried the outside, put it on the stove on a medium setting and let it start drying out. When it was almost done drying we put a coating of shortning in it.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 8:16 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I have a cast iron grill pan. I use steel wool to get the chunks off and then rinse it off. I dry it completely (if you don't dry it the thing can rust) then put a thin layer of oil on it. If for some reason you do need to clean it and use soap you can reseason it by putting oil on it and baking the pan.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2009