Hamsters

we are thinking about getting hamsters. Not sure what type is better (dwarf, teddy bear etc...). Any thoughts/advice??

KMIassogna

Asked by KMIassogna at 7:56 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Pets

• I would opt for a Rat before a hamster. They are smarter, cleaner, and rarely bite. I've had 3 and taught them to run mazes. They are social animals and unless you have food on your fingers or are cruel to them, they will not bite even when you put your fingers thru the cage like a child will.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:59 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• A guinea pig or rat are better options then a hamster---hamsters are nippy and generally want to be left alone...guinea pigs are gentle and are larger so kids can hold them easier...Rats are GREAT! they are really social and bite way less then hamsters, you can train them too :)
    bumblebeestingu

Answer by bumblebeestingu at 8:05 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I have to agree with rats (they are very social so get two of the same gender). I'm on my second pair and they are AWESOME pets! Here is a great site to learn more if you think you might be interested...http://www.afrma.org/

CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 8:12 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I would go with a Teddy bear hamster. If they are handled often they are not nippy and will hang out with you. The dwarf at least in exerience tend to be more aggressive.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 8:15 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My daughter owned a teddy bear hamster for two years. It died this past summer. Their life expectancy is not much more than this. We did, however, own a guinea pig that lived for five years. He was just like one of the family. They are alot more fun and more personable!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:51 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• rats are awesome :)
    as for hamsters- never had one...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:18 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Our hamster just died today :( But we also have three cats and a large dog, and I know it sounds bad, but we weren't as attached to the hamster as we are to our other pets.
    Don't get a dwarf hamster, we've had two and they were both really aggressive. We couldn't even put our hands in their cages because they'd attack us.
    I agree with getting a rat; I had two when I was young and they were so sweet and loving!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 9:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Personally I like rats and guinea pigs better than hamsters. Most of the hamsters I have known have been bitey or hard to handle. I've come to the conclusion that the 'social' rodents make better pets. Hamsters are solitary by nature... whenever we've had more solitary animals, they just don't enjoy being handled as much as the animals that are programmed by nature to relate to other living things. Rats are fun and very bright... right now we have two guinea pigs who are the sweetest things. They love to be held and patted and even my two year old can hold them and pat them with supervision without any problem. The kids love them!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Hamsters are terrible pets. They don't like people and just lay around all day. Get a rat. They're friendly, sociable, intelligent, live longer, can do tricks, and even use a litter box.
    Nzumbe

Answer by Nzumbe at 12:52 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I love this question! Last summer my daughter brought home a hampster from school. It was a class pet. I was not happy about this. Then off the kids went to Turkey for the summer on a class trip. I was left with the varment. Thisw is TX and it gets hot and we live in a trailer (easy bake oven LOL). So the critter was moved into the bathroom for his own safety. its the coldest place in the house. His name is now Rodger the Bathroom Hampster. I love this little thing so much. He only nipps when we play and he loves to play. He has so mch personality. We have an agreement. We are allowed to use the restroom (his bedroom) in exchange for toilet paper. Absolutely, if you are ready to love a critter a teddybear is a great one to love. But im an animal lover (not in my house but:::) any varment can be loved. Ive had rats bts dogs cats fish birds cows horses pigs. ok all of them. just be ready to love again!!!!
    Roharn

Answer by Roharn at 4:02 AM on Nov. 12, 2009