Do we have to get a lawyer?

My ex husband and I are separated, no bio kids between us. We have had papers drawn up and have everything settled. We live in Va. Does anyone know if we have to have a lawyer file for the divorce or can one of us take it to the court house and have them file it there? I've tried calling legal aid but I can NEVER get through to them. Thanks for any help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• I think you should check your state laws on the subject, but normally I would say no, you don't need an attorney and can file on your own, specially if everything is in accordance with each other, go for it.

Answer by older at 9:02 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Call the courthouse. FL lets you do it yourself if there are no kids and you don't own real estate together. We did our own

Answer by admckenzie at 9:23 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• If it's uncontested (both parties agree), then you don't need a lawyer.
    Happypancake

Answer by Happypancake at 10:07 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• From my understanding, only if you have kids together do you need a lawyer.
    Anonymous