how to get my son to talk?

ok my son is 20 months and still doesn't talk he say mommy dada and no he had said some words but then he never says it again i don't know what to do. he is very smart he helps me with everything but he just doesn't talk have yours kids gone through this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son will be four on the 17th. He could talk at a very early age. He just chose not to. It wasn't that he couldn't. He just wouldn't. LOL. My family though it was cute that he was so stubborn but I found it very frustrating. He grew out of it and now I can't get him to be quiet.LOL. It may just be a phase or it could also be a warning sign of Autism. You may want to speak with his doctor and get a professional opinion.
    JEAmom3

Answer by JEAmom3 at 9:15 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• my youngest refused to talk too.

part of it was our not making her but the other part was she just didn't want to.

by 2 though she started chattering up a storm.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 9:21 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Not necessarily a sign of Autism, AT ALL. Our little boy didn't say even that by 21 months. He said BYE-BYE. That was it. We had him evaluated by ECI (Early Childhood Intervention) and it was decided that while he was on-track or advanced in most other areas, he was indeed delayed on "expressive language". He could understand you, do hard puzzles, turn single pages, etc. but not talk. They started working with him, and though the results were not immediate, they were MAGNIFICENT! By 24 months, he was saying about 20 words, by 27 mos-about 50-60, by 30 mos-about 200-250, and continues to add NEW words daily. It's not laziness. Ours walked at 9 mos and they say that "early walkers are late talkers", because they are too busy to sit and listen! LOL! ECI only works with them until 36 months. I would at least have him evaluated, they may tell you that there is no worry, he's fine, OR they can offer you help. Medicaid pays for it.GL
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:24 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Okay first of all my little brother did not speak until he was almost 3--he is now a doctor-LOL! Parents as Teachers has wonderful FREE programs look them up and see if they are in your area. My girlfriend has a highly intelligent 2 year old who wasn't speaking, she started saying everytime he wanted something, now what's the word ie milk, he is doing much better. Maybe his siblings or you are not making him use words to get what he wants, good luck mom!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:45 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My son is also 20 months and doesn't say a whole lot. He knows ALL his animal noises...doc says that counts as words. He says Duck, fish, mama, dada, and a couple other words that only family can understand, but the doc says that counts too! Good luck mama, try going through an animal book with him and pointing to all the animals, say what they are and what noise they make, that's how my DS started saying all the animal sounds.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 10:21 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• If you have any concerns, please have him evaluated by Early Intervention in your area. If he is behind, it's much better to get started early!

Answer by missanc at 10:36 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I agree with the moms recommending having him evaluated by early Intervention. My son started the program at 18 months and has made wonderful progress in the past year. Your doctor or your state's web site should be able to give you the number you need to call.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 10:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My nephew and my cousin both went through this stage. Both of them had hearing issues. My cousin had fluid in his ears and had to have them drained and then had tubes put in to keep it drained. The fluid prevented him from hearing words properly and so he didn't know who to repeat them. Therefore, he just didn't repeat them at all. My nephew had a hearing problem, but I don't know exactly what it was. When they got that fixed he started talking right away. I'm not saying this is the problem with your child, but it may be something to look into.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• i don't feel that this is a stage,but i do think it has a lot to do with how your child is developing,every child develops at a different pace,some are developmentally delayed,i think from my own personal experience- by the time a child is 2,they should at least be trying to say words,when my son was 2 at his check up,we discussed this,he was not talking or even trying,as somebody else said,this is when you get in touch with early intervention in your area,have your child evaluated,your Dr,will be able to tell you where to go, i also know from experience at this age its very hard to give a DX..they are just to young to understand what needs to be done during a eval,or how to follow directions,with my son at 2 we started early intervention,in my state its called birth to 3.at 3 we had him evaluated,he was older and it made a big difference for us,it was easier to observe his behavior & vocals.also have child's hearing checked,
    kimandshane

Answer by kimandshane at 4:24 PM on Nov. 12, 2009