Why do Catholics think that missing church on a Sunday will send them to hell?

Didn't Jesus fullfill the ot law? Going to church is good- but will God really keep someone out of heaven because they didn't go to church on a Sunday and died on a Monday?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am sure other Catholics can answer this better than I.

I will assure you I do not pull out my handbag to hell if I miss Mass on Sundays, especially since I go on Saturdays.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 9:52 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• i have no idea where you base this 'idea', as i'm not catholic, nor was i aware of this 'thought'.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• "handbag to hell "....LOL-love it!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• thehairnazi, her assumption is based on the idea if Catholics miss Mass for reasons that are not beyond their control, they must attend confession before receiving communion.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 9:55 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• We don't. It's a grave sin to miss Sunday Mass, unless there's a grave reason to do so. such as Illness of yourself or Child. But then again why would you want to miss. For going to Mass and receiving the eucharist is not what we do for God but something that God does for us. As well as being filled the word. To help us through the next week.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:04 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

Mortal sins include: (Some of these can change from time to time)
    Missing Mass on Sunday
    Eating meat on any Friday (until modified by Vatican II)
    Missing Mass on a Holy Day
    Failing to perform one's "Easter Duty"; that is, receive Holy Communion at least once per year

Answer
    According to the beliefs of Roman Catholicism, a mortal sin is a sin that, unless confessed and absolved (or at least sacramental confession is willed if not available), condemns a person's soul to Hell after death.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:14 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I think the point of that precept is usually people turn one missed Mass into a habit.
    ave.maria.

Answer by ave.maria. at 10:19 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• You forget the rest. A grave infraction of the law of God that destroys the divine life in the soul of the sinner ( sanctifying grace), constituing a turn away from God. For a sin to be mortal, three conditions must be present: grave matter, full knowledge of the evil of the act, and full consent of the will. As for us going to Heaven or Hell we don't presume that anyone is going to either. We believe and hope for God's mercy for us all.
    oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:21 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I had 8 years of catholic school and still don't understand half of what was preached to me in class and church. LOL There are a LOT of man made laws not even really based on the bible but some congregation of men with hats and collars. It's too early in the morning for me to even hurt my tiny little brain to think of some examples, all I know is that missing church on sunday will not allow someone to enter the gates of hell unless the reason they missed church was because they were partying with the devil i suppose. Just like eating a piece of chicken on a friday during lent will not have you sent to the gates of hell either. It's just silly.

Older mom, Which category of sin does the "grave sin" of missing mass fall into? Mortal, venial, or original? Cross off original that's when you are born so it can't be that one.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:21 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I think the point of that precept is usually people turn one missed Mass into a habit. Or doing their will instead God's such as Ex 20 8-11 Remember to keep holy the sabbath day. Six days you may labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is the sabbath of the Lord, your God. No work may be done then either by you, or your son, or daughter, or your male or female slave, or your beast, or by the alien who lives with you. In six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea and all that is in them; but on the seventh day he rested. that is why the Lord has blessed the Sabbath Day and made it Holy.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 10:31 AM on Nov. 11, 2009