Is it dangerous if medicine appears in breast milk?

My doctor has settled me on antibiotics, and I'm gonna get pregnant soon, and it made me wonder, Since the antibiotics I was drinking appeared in breast milk, does it have a bad affect on the baby?

Blondemom65

Asked by Blondemom65 at 9:50 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Anything that's secreted in the breastmilk will affect the baby. That being said, I had a c section & the dr put me on an antibiotic after for a couple of days & was well aware that I was breastfeeding only. Make sure your dr knows your breastfeeding and planning on becoming pregnant (personally I'd try to wait till you clear up whatever's going on before becoming pregnant) & they will give you a med that's approved for use while breastfeeding.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:59 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• i agree with nyx7, however if you must continue to bf and use the medicine, take the medicine, then try to wait at least 2 hours to breastfeed. the med might be absorbed into your own body a bit more.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• There are just a few drugs that are contraindicated while breastfeeding according to the American Academy of Pediatrics. Unfortunately doctors aren't trained in breastfeeding management and many give women bad advice about breastfeeding. If a woman needs to take a medication while breastfeeding she can call La Leche League International or a lactation consultant.

It is better for mothers who smoke to breastfeed because it helps protect the baby from getting as many respiratory infections and ear infections. You can have a drink or two while breastfeeding, there is no reason to dump and pump. You can have around 2 cups of coffee a day. There are no special diets breastfeeding women have to follow.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:28 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• it depneds. there is different levels. it goes from L1 TO L4 . medecines that are L1 AND 2 ARE safe to take. LEVEL 3 only taken if really neccesary and L4 stop breastfedding. go to kellymom. com they have a list of medicatios that are safe or not safe to take while nursing. also lactmed is a good site
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:08 AM on Nov. 11, 2009