Buddhist temple?

Can anyone visit one or do you have to be Buddhist? Do they have regular times like churches to go or can you go anytime? Could my toddler go or would we be bothering something/someone? There is one very close to me and I would love to visit it, I just don't want to do anything wrong.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think you should call and ask them. For my world religions class , the class went to a Buddhist temple (I unfortunately couldnt go) So you dont have to be Buddhist to go, however Im not sure how my professor coordinated the times. I dont think you will be doing anything wrong, but I do think you should call beforehand.
    AdensMommy1107

Answer by AdensMommy1107 at 10:46 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Anyone can go to a Buddhist temple. There are not set times, most are open all day, but they often have times set aside for interested groups to learn & for supporters to come, they also might have some times when certain areas are being used & thus are not accessible. Your toddler will be perfectly welcome, Buddhist temples are not really "austere" & you don't have to observe in "hushed reverence" like we sometimes feel compelled to in the West. The only "rule" that you should be aware of ahead of time is that you take off your shoes before entering the sacred space, they will have a spot for you to take off your shoes & leave them, so make sure your socks are presentable :) Buddhist monks are extremely friendly & welcoming (in general), but they will also leave you alone to wander & observe.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• A side note - monks live off of the support of the community so if you visit to see the temple it is polite (but not at all necessary) to leave a small donation, you will see where this can be done.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Everyone is always welcome, but each one is different when it comes to schedules and facilities... so it's always a good idea to call ahead of time or check their website. It's also good to make contact because many monks/nuns speak limited English at best - so you'll want to be sure someone is available you can communicate with.

The closest one to me is closed to the public on Mondays, but open the other 6 days from 10am-5pm. They do not have facilities for children yet, so bringing small kids is discouraged (especially during services/classes).

They have chanting services and several classes ranging from Chinese to Tai Chi to calligraphy to veggie cooking at various times/dates (calendar is posted online). They also have a small museum, a tea room, a gift shop, and extensive gardens.

Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 4:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2009