What are Synagis (sib) shots?

someone called for my ok to send sib or synagis shots to my son's doctor. saying that he needs to get one shot a month for the next six months for almost $1000. but we have not had my son's 2 month check up yet. its on friday so the doc has not told us he needs these shots.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:02 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think it's to help protect against RSV. Is he high risk for RSV?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:08 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It is for RSV.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 10:14 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It is for RSV. If your child is at risk for RSV and not breastfed then they need these shots. If your baby is breastfed you may want to do more research to decide if you think your baby needs the shots. Breastfed babies are at less risk of getting RSV and have lower hospitalization rates. You might want to read some of the research from Boston Medical Center.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:17 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It is for RSV. Mostly given to preemies or unhealthy babies. DD was born 9 weeks premature in February 2006. She got the Synagis shot the remainder of that RSV season and then the 2006-2007 RSV season. I've heard it called "the $1,000 shot," but we didn't pay a thing for it since our insurance covered the entire cost.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:18 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It's for RSV and only preemies or high risk infants get it.
    RSV is very serious for ALL young infants and I think I would for sure get the shots.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:39 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My daughter had RSV at 3 monts but that was in 1990 so I don't think they had the shot then. She was 5 weeks premature and did have lung problems. Had the shot been available I would have gotten it for her. That was the most horrible Thanksgiving week with her in the Hospital.
    If your baby is healthy, not a preemie and not going to be out of your care for 6 mo or so I would have to think twice.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:51 AM on Nov. 11, 2009