Will your family have a live Christmas tree this year? Or a fake one?

We are considering a live one so that we can choose something rather small. Maybe one that is still in a pot. I have always been concerned about the fire hazard a live cut one presents. I've always had fake ones in the past and this is the first year I'll be decorating for Christmas since probably '04. I'm excited and will probably have my decorations up by next weekend! You?

WindyTheWidow

Asked by WindyTheWidow at 10:08 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• We both come from families that have always gotten live trees so to both of us, "tree hunting" is part of Christmas tradition. We live in MT where all you need is a permit and then anywhere where the land is forest service, you can just cut down your own tree.
    We make a day out of it, packing a sled, a thermos full of cocoa and then we tote the kids around in the sled while we look for a tree. Ahhhh...makes me want to go now.
    One idea that I heard of (if you have your own property) is to plant a tree one year and then jsut dig it up, roots n all, and put it in a planter for Christmas. Then you can replant it each year and do the same thing forever. The awesome thing about that is that the tree grows with your family and you dont have to pay for it every year.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 12:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• We didn't get a fake or real christmas tree last christmas...but I like the real ones. I put a fake one in my sons room and decorate it with boy colors, and we're getting a real one out in the living room....a SMALL one :)
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 10:10 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• You just have to keep it well hydrated all the time. Because dry needles are what cause most of the fires that happen with a live tree. And in the winter time the base where you put the water tends to dry out quicker because of running the heater in the house. So just make sure to keep the soil moist(if it's in a pot) or the water level consistent so it doesn't dry out.

I am very excited about this season. Our tradition is to put the tree up on Thanksgiving day. While he watches football the kids and I decorate.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 10:12 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• We always go with a live tree, so each year we end up with something very different than the year before - sometimes spectacular and sometimes more like the Charlie Brown tree. I love the smell of a real tree.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• We have a pre-lit artificial tree. I love the smell of a real tree but I don't like putting lights on a real tree. We got a really nice tree a couple of years ago when a local store had them on 70% off during a post holiday clearance sale.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 10:13 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• We have a 6.5' fake tree that we have had since 05 and it has been our tradition since 04 as well to put up our decorations the day after Thanksgiving. I am SOO ready!
    sarahdicksonjr

Answer by sarahdicksonjr at 10:13 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• We have always had a live tree because my in-laws live on a large property covered in pine trees. But this year at the church yard sale I found a beautiful pre-lit fake tree for $25.
    Since we have always had a real tree, we have waited to put it up until the week before Christmas, this year it is going up the weekend after Thanksgiving. I would do it before except my husband refuses based on some feeling that it is wrong to do so before Thanksgiving.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:13 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• We love the live trees, but have gone to the silk trees because trees have become so expensive. A 7 foot tree is $75. We bought a couple of silk trees 4 years ago for $125 on sale. They have paid for themselves after just 2 years. We buy some cuttings to make garland and centerpieces so we can have that wonderful smell, but we have 2 silk trees.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:15 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Oh, I should say that each of the boys have a miniature tree in their rooms with kid decorations. They love the lights at bedtime. I was opposed to the idea, but we found them for$2 at Target one year after Christmas sales and my sister talked me into them. I still wasn't sold on the idea until I put the up the first year and it made the boys so happy.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:17 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• We always purchase a live one. We take our daughter and pick the tree then either my husband or the tree farmer cuts it down....its a nice tradition. Something my daughter can always be a part of.
    KlousMomi

Answer by KlousMomi at 10:19 AM on Nov. 11, 2009