How can I get him to stop biting?

My 1 year old is a little chomper. He has 8 teeth and he puts them to good use. He tries to bite on us allll the time. We get bruises and teethmarks, we tell him "NO" but he continues to do it. Sometimes it seems like its on purpose but I dont like thinking that. Any suggestions on how to make him stop PLEASE???

AdensMommy1107

Asked by AdensMommy1107 at 10:42 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• scream oww, no! and pop him in his mouth(not hard) just enough to hurt his feelings. i dont have to do this to my 17month old but when she does go to bite i tell her no bite.when she has bittin me befor i just screamed ow, no bite and she started crying.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 10:44 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My daughter tried that for about a week. She would come give us "kisses" but they would be bites. We don't hesitate to pop her hand or butt and thats all over now. She usually listens to "NO" but that didnt work with the biting.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 10:49 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• When he bites take his hands firmly and say Mommy or Daddy does not like that, put him in a special place and do not engage with him for about a minute. When you pick him back up tell him when you bite this is where you will sit... it takes a little while , but I promise it will work. My DS was a biter, as was I--when he is in the naughty place do not look at him or speak to him, good luck MOM!!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Oh no, it's the 'pop' mom. She always says pop rather than hit and that is her solution to everything. What's wrong with her that she has to make up a word? I hope someone calls CPS on this woman.

Never hit a one year old, there is no excuse for it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:56 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I'm sure its not hard but I would never hit my kid in the mouth or really anywhere. I was spanked and it really messed me up. anyway, we use time outs. They work when you are consistant. The best thing with them I've found is putting the child on the floor. It seems to have the effect of making them feel mentally as low as they physically are. They know they just got dethrowned- and 1 isn't too young to start. DD was getting time outs at 1 occasionally and it made a huge difference. Just do it every single time he bites no matter where you are. I would also say "we do NOT bite/whatever" as I sat her down. then after 30 sec, I'd say it again more gently and give her a hug. Somtimes she'd end right back on time out but stick with it. much better than hitting your child in the face.
    mrs_pulley

Answer by mrs_pulley at 11:05 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• if ur talking about me being the POP mom,if u read right, i said i never had to do this to my kid. i have alot of neices and nepews and it seemed to work for my sisters when they did that.and pop doesnt mean slap.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:06 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I looked up some problem solving methods including Dr. Sears and Elizabeth Crary. Here is something that might work for biting.

Evaluate the problem. When does the child bite? Who? Is the child teething?

Avoid the problem. Watch for times when the child might bite and prevent the strike. Reduce stress. Change the situation.

Teach new skills. Give the child something to bite, say a big toy that would be fun to bite. Teach the child to use words or signs when frustrated.

Look for good behavior. Give attention, reward, praise.

I hope this helps. I think they should make big Kong (dog toys) toys for kids that are fun to bite.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:15 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I said pop...who cares what I call it. spank, pop, hit. It works for my child and it may work for hers if she wants to do that.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 11:15 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My son did the same thing. He would come up and try to bite my knees when I was sitting down. It's very common for toddlers to bite, as they are getting used to those new chompers they have. I would tell my son "No" and pull him away from me. I'd tell him "We don't bite, that hurts". Then if he did it again I'd tell him again "No, we don't bite" and then warn him if he does it again he's going to time out. When he does it again or tries to do it again I scoop him up and put him in time out. Time outs work for us and he repsonds to them most of the time by not going back to what he was doing. If he is in a stuborn mood and doesn't want to stop what he's doing then I try to distract him by showing him what he can bite on. I hand him his favorite teething toy and tell him "This is what you can chew on, but don't bite mommy." That has been known to work too, because then he gets distracted. His biting stage didn't last long.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2009