Is It Bad To Have A Pet In The House With A Newborn Baby ??

i have a small chihuahua that is a female she weighs about 6 pds or so and my family says i shouldnt have her in the house around my newborn baby .. but my dog she is very friendly with small kids she just dont want to be picked up alot . she does get jealous of me and my husband when we are trying to love on one another and stuff but i wouldnt never think she would do anything to a newborn baby unless she licked on it or somthing but i wouldnt never let her around it with out me right there with her .

do you think i should get rid of her or keep her with a new born baby ..??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is just fine to haev pets and babies. People do it all of the time. You should be prepared for some possible resentment from you puppy. Having a new born may affect you dog but having a dog is not going to affect your newborn unless it is a vicious little land shark. :0) Which it sounds like it's not. Don't worry. You shouldn't have to give up your baby for you baby.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 11:09 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• no, just dont ever leave the bay alone with the dog. and when the child is older never leave the dog alone with the baby. your dog is part of your family. you dont hjave to get rid of her.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:09 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I have a lab and a jack russell and there is no way they are going anywhere! I'm actually registered for a class through the hospital on pets and newborns. You should check to see if your hospital offers a class like that. Otherwise, call your pedi office and ask the doc or nurse.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 11:09 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• i have a pomeranin and he will never go any where just try to not let the dog to close they want to know what's going on and who is this in there home she might try to lick your baby just keep an eye out... my son is now 13month and he and my dog are best friend's.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:13 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• that dog will probaly be totaly different with that baby then she is with , she will propbayl run to the baby when she cries to see whats wrong and be that babys best friend, our cat is like that with my now 17 month old, when she was a baby laying on the floor on a blanket that cat would sit on the edge of the blanket and kind of look out for baby,but new not to get to close when she was on the blanket.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:14 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Not really, you just have to watch them both more carefully and clean more often. Also now that I have a 13 month and 1 on the way I really don't want pets anymore, it's going to be a long time till they get a dog, I think I"m going to stick to small and caged pets.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:16 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• yes see my aunt is a mamaw now and he has a dobermin in the house and she will lay her grand daughter wich is 3 mths on the floor on a blanket to go to sleep or somthing and doodle ( the dog ) will lay beside the baby the whole time and when the baby wakes up doodle will bark .. i think that dogs will like be protective of the baby .

thats the way doodle seems to be ..

the other day my aunt was saying that the baby had lost its paci and doodle was barking and got the paci and was scooting it to the baby.. that just seems so cute ..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• its absolutely fine... in fact, can be beneficial to the baby in the long run- children who grow up with pets in the home are significantly less likely to have animal related allergies later in life, even to those that they have never encountered!

like everyone else said, just watch your fur baby with your human baby- thats all. who knows, the dog may become very attached to the baby. i had a pom who fell in love with my middle child. she even began lactating when i brought him home! lol
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:20 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• my chihuahua was always in the house with my baby. he never hurt the baby at all. and once my baby got old enough to pull his ears, the dog is scared of the baby and never goes near him, so i know he won't hurt him. its ridiculous to think of getting rid of a dog just cuz u have a baby.
    Butterflysky_24

Answer by Butterflysky_24 at 11:27 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My cat was absolutely amazing with my kids. Tears are coming to my eyes as I write this because he is no longer with us. When my son came home for the first time he started sleeping under his crib. When my daughter was a toddler she would force feed him cat food and put dish towels on his back. He endured everything - he was so good to them!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:33 AM on Nov. 11, 2009