How Do You Get Your Baby Off A Bottle & Paci ??

how do you get your baby off of a bottle and paci ??

my aunt put 1-2 speckles of pepper on her little girls paci and she stuck it in her mouth and spit it out , she never used it again and that was about 18 yrs ago .

but that to me isnt even right to do a baby like that ..
i dont want my child to be almost 2-3 yrs old before getting rid of a bottle or paci i dont want everyone and me and the family to watch it running around with a paci or bottle still hanging out of its mouth ..

what can you do to keep them from wanting it ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My 13 mo daughter still drinks milk from a bottle, and juice and water from a sippy cup, and her paci she still uses, I won't let her have the paci till age of 2 but for now she's fine it's not hurting her.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:39 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• You can't do anything to keep them from wanting it, but wait. Many kids still need oral comfort up through age 3 or 4 (sometimes longer)... Basically, you have to decide if your childs needs are more important than what other people think.

If it were me, I would limit bottle use altogether (to avoid dental issues) and encourage paci use only certain times of the day... normal times that the child would be nursing were they breastfed. Naptime, nighttime, first thing in the morning, etc... She doesn't have to "run around" with one.... I wouldn't even let an infant "run around" with a paci, it's a boob replacement and a child certainly can't run around with a boob in their mouth!
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:45 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Children have a strong suckling need and should be breastfed at least 2 years according to the World Health Organization. Why shouldn't a child that was deprived of breastfeeding be allowed to have a pacifier until at least 2. I understand that liquid in bottles can cause dental problems and babies probably wouldn't want water in bottles.

Why punish a child for your "choice" to not breastfeed. Shouldn't the child be allowed a pacifier until the child outgrows the need.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:47 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My thought is to tackle one issue at a time. Start working witha sippy cup between 6 months and a year and gradually use it more often then the bottle, then around a year take the bottle away. You can't really stop them from wanting it, but they will get over it.

For the paci stop letting your child have it other than for bedtime or naps by around one year - they need to have it out of their mouth when playing so they can practice talking. Then between 18 months and 2 years take it away completely. Again, you can't really make them not want it, but they will get over it, especially if you haven't let it become a 24 hr/day attachment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:48 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• First of all you don't want to take both the bottle and paci away at the same time. For the bottle with my DD i just took the milk and put it in her cup and she got up on the couch and drank it and ya sure she ask for a bottle and we just told her she was a big girl and that another baby had to use her bottles and they were never seen by her ever again. The paci keep in the crib so your LO only gets it at nap or bed time in the crib and just do that for a 2-3 weeks and then just start taking it away at nap time for 2-3 weeks and then do bed time you want to have the paci gone done with by 3 yrs old. The bottle that should be gone by 15 months old that's what my ped told me and he has given me the best advice. I hope this help you out some. GL and please stay away from the PEPPER. That just is not right in my eyes at all.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:52 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My thing with pacifiers is to let them stop when they feel like it. My son lost interest in his at two months, my husband never used one and I had mine until I was five. It always depends on the kid. With the bottle, the doctor told me to introduce a cuppy at four months so I always had one with me with water for him to play with and at around six months he picked it up and refused the bottle and that was that. hope this helps a little. :)
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 11:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Anon :47...and what is wrong with it if she put breastmilk in the bottle? Now all of a sudden breast milk only counts if it's delivered by nursing? Punishment? You're a moron. And why does a bottle fed baby need a pacifier any more than a breastfed one? A lot of breast fed babies have pacifiers, too. Are their mothers also punishing their child by not breastfeeding MORE so they don't NEED the pacifier? They do NOT have a strong suckling need until 2. Yes the "WHO" recommends breastfeeding until the age of two but I've never seen them say that a baby had to have a pacifier if it wasn't breastfed that long. Get your facts straight so you're not writing so much garbage.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:56 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• And ps, Anon 11:47... Please remember that there are many reasons why a woman may not breastfeed. For me, I lost my milk supply at three months, for some women the milk never comes in, there may be infections that prevent it. When supporting a more natural way to care care of your child, more people will listen when you are kind, supportive, and gentle.
    flitpixie

Answer by flitpixie at 11:57 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• We did them at different times.

We were done with the bottle at 6 months when we switched to the sippy cup. (for all three)

The pacifier was taken at different times...13 months, 10 months and 4 months (his suck was too weak to keep it in his mouth)

Once they demonstrated they could drink from a sippy cup, we just got rid of the bottles. For the pacifier, we just took it away one day and it was done.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:57 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Anon :56, To be fair... I've never met a full-term breastfed child who used a paci beyond the first year... probably even beyond 6-9 months. There's just no need when they have a boobie available! Now, for a child who isn't breastfed, a pacifier is a boob replacement... So, yea, a bottlefed baby needs a pacifier more than a breastfed one. A breastfed baby can do their non-nutritive sucking at the breast, a pacifier is the bottlefed babies replacement for that.

And yea, human milk from the breast IS different than human milk from a bottle... still better than formula, but not as good as direct from the breast.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 12:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2009