How much baby food should my 5 month old be eating?

I just want to know how much the average 5 month old eats. My lil guy is a piggy, he weighs 18lbs. I don't want an opinion from those who don't believe in jarred baby food. Right now he eats 2 jars everyday. 1 for lunch and 1 for dinner. Is that a good amount?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would talk to his pediatrician about this. Every child is differnt and needs a different amount based on age weight and height.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:41 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• As long as his formula or breastmilk intake has not dropped, it's fine. Mine took two stage 2 jars at each meal. *I* had pigs! (still do, you should see the way they eat still today! LOL)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:44 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I would say that's good. You just feed him until he gives you the sign of being full which is turning his head, spitting it out, lack of interest. Do you give him cereal at breakfast? I would say by 6 months he will be up to 1 1/2 jars of food per meal.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It sounds like he may be having too much solids.

Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 12:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• i agree with ticcledblue, so long as formula/bm is still the main form of nutrition. that's really important. at 5 months, my son probably only ate like 1 tablespoon of food per day. it all depends on the child.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Breast milk or formula are all a 5 month old needs, i don't start solids until 6 months and even then its really only just about giving them a taste. In my opinion you are giving your baby to much.
    My son was over 21 pounds at 5 months and he got breast milk exclusively!
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 12:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2009