What Kind Of Food Can You Feed A 3-6 Mth Old ??

some ppl in my family say that when a baby is 3-6mths old that you can start feeding them certain foods and drinks ..

my grandma has said she gave me pop and water mixed when i was about 3 mths old that somtimes it helps with gas ..
aslo my uncles wife has gave her baby banana pudding when the baby was only around 3 mths old .

also when do you start letting them eat these foods :

- baby food from jars
- pudding
- ice cream
- lick on suckers
- pop watered down
- mashed taters
- gravy
- dumplin juice

give me some hints on what other kinds of soft foods they can eat and at what age ??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:42 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Babies should only have breastmilk/formula until they are about 6 months old. Then you can start with rice cereal and then gradually add in baby food. Talk to you pediatrician for advice on when to start solid foods.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Why do you think your baby needs food at 3-6 months?
    Whi is it so many people believe when some crazy person says we must do something about global warming and there is just as much proof against it as for it and yet they just won't lisen when all the Drs say your baby doesn't need anything but breast milk or formula till they are 6 months old. Unbelievable.......
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• 3-6 months: Human milk or formula ONLY.

The only thing from the rest of that list I would give my baby is maybe the gravy... but, only because I make it myself from scratch.... and probably not because it would be too messy. My 8 month old eats whatever soft foods he can chew... avocado, banana, potatoes, peas, carrots, sweet potatoes... All fresh, never jared.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:50 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Four months is the earliest recommended to give anything. And then usually parents start with baby cereal then move on to baby food.

baby food from jars.....4 months
    - pudding...8 months eating some table foods
    - ice cream...first birthday
    - lick on suckers...3 when old enough to handle a sucker
    - pop watered down....oldest is 5 and he still hasn't had any
    - mashed taters...8 months (not something we eat often or would have been sooner)
    - gravy...8 months
    - dumplin juice...no clue what you mean. Broth? Never just gave broth.

These are the ages when WE started. At 6 months we started introducing table foods and finger foods. By the time they were 9 months they were eating all table foods.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 11:51 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• The best thing to do is talk to the babies pediatrician about this, 3 and 6 mos is such a large gap for a baby and they change a lot during that time, so I'd seek professional advice on this. All babies are different and so are mother's.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 12:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Breastmilk and/or formula ONLY until 6 months old. Period. The old recommendations were to start baby foods at 4-6 months, the new recommendation, based on research about what is best for baby is not until 6 months, minimum.

Just because someone did it in the past and the child "turned out okay" does not mean that it is a good thing to do.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• breast milk or formula. :) that is the official recommendation of the american academy of pediatrics anyway.

at 5 months, though, my son started eating smashed up banana, then avocado, then sweet potato. he never really ate a substantial amt of food until around 7 months though.

@ itsmesteph, it is my feeling that A LOT of pediatricians WILL tell parents to start solids around 4 months of age. i had a ped treat me like i was an ignorant piece of trash because my 4.5 month old son wasn't eating anything but breast milk. what makes you think doctors aren't still doling out this old fashioned advice?
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• my sister's pediatrician also said to start feeding solids at 4 months. i agree that it should be later than that, but many pediatricians give out the 4 month advice.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Breastmilk or formula!
    Keep in mind that solids fed to babies before they turn 1 are for the experience of eating them, not for nutrition (a subject most doctors know nothing about). Nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months; many are now recommending skipping cereal and starting with a bit of avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Jarred baby food tastes awful, is expensive, and you never really know what is in it. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts.
    The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 12:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• oh a good website for you is wholesomebabyfood.com. there is info on there about recommended ages to start different foods, etc. also info on making foods, which is surprisingly easy but you can also look for kinds of foods and then buy jarred purees if you want.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 11, 2009