Feeding Newborns?!

Does anyone know where to find good information on feeding babies? I plan on breastfeding but since this is my first I have no idea what Im doing. How many ounces? How many times a day? Those types of questions!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• baby's eat like every 3 hours oz. r different for every baby my daughter was eating 2-3 at 2 days old
    keithamy06

Answer by keithamy06 at 11:50 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Just feed on demand. When he wants it, nurse him - that's all you can do.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:50 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• You don't have to worry about ounces with breastfeeding; baby will eat when he's hungry and stop when he's full. And how often doens't matter, either; as long as he puts out at least 6-8 wet/dirty diapers a day after the first few days, he's getting enough.

I've heard good things about the book So That's What They're For by Janet Tamaro. And there's a breastfeeding group here on CafeMom where you can go for specific questions. The ladies there are very helpful and knowledgeable. (Especially gdiamante.) :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 11:50 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• with breastfeeding, it's awesome because you do not have to worry about ounces at all. well unless you start working and pumping but that will be at least several weeks down the road.

i think the womanly art of breastfeeding is good. i very much wish i had read this book before i had my son! the hospital handed out like 3 chapters of it and i read those. i definitely plan to buy it with my 2nd and read the whole thing beforehand.

every baby is different but most will want to nurse very frequently in the beginning, like every 2-3 hours. & some also take a while to nurse for the first few weeks. my son took 40 minutes to nurse every 2-3 hours for about a month and a half, and then slowly went down on time, until he was nursing for about 10 minutes every 3-4 hours.

i definitely recommend getting that book, or a similar one because it will answer 100 questions you might have, and 1000 you never thought of! gl! & congrats!
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• i think it would also be a great idea to join a bfing group here on CM, it is great for the support and for help with issues and questions :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• if you are planning to breastfeed, it is hard to determine how much your baby will be eating. so the best option is to just let your newborn eat when hungry. might be every hour, might be every 2-3 hours. and as the tummy grows the baby will be fuller longer.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:58 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• if ypu plan on bf, you dont need to worry about ounces, or time. BABY CRIES-PUT BABY TO BREAST. nurse on demand. i suggest you take classes, and like others suggested read about breastfeeding
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Contact the hospital, they will give you information on a breast feeding class (along with newborn care, baby CPR and first aid, post partum excercise, etc.)

Answer by rkoloms at 12:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• if you're going to bf, nurse on demand. if you will be pumping along w/ nursing bc of work, your baby will need 1 ounce for every hour your gone. so, if you're gone for 6 hours, s/he will need 6 ounces. every baby's schedule is diff and changes constantly. my son started off at every 3-4 hours, but when he hit growth spurts, he would nurse every hour or 2. and sometimes it seemed to change for no reason. i would join a bfing group here and also think about taking a class given by a certified LC.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 12:45 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I like kellymom.   Check out:

The Normal Course of Breastfeeding

doulala

Answer by doulala at 12:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2009