Rudeness

My 8 year old son has moderate autism.Whenever we go out,be it to a restaurant or shopping,we invaribly run into people who blatantly stare at him because of his verbal issues(loudness,echolalia)Most are children,but a good number are full grown adults.They are not even sly about it.I've caught their eye and gave them a WTH look,but they stare me down! How should I deal with this issue?It's breaking my heart! I see it that he doesn't look "abnormal",but when they can see that obviously he has a disability,why can't they just go back to their own business?We have a right to be out too without this happening!!

TMJ121099

Asked by TMJ121099 at 11:46 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son is living with autism as well, and if I had a dime for every insensitive remark or stare, I would NEVER have to worry about money again!! If I see that someone( an adult) is staring at my son, I look them right in the eye and ask " Isn't autism fascinating?" Or if I'm in a bad mood, I ask" Do you really think staring will help my son's autism?" I just wish people would educate themselves about children and adults with disabilities.
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 4:57 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I totally know what you are going through. I let them look. 90% of adults that I have asked do they know anything about autism they say no. So my reply to them is usually than dont stare and huff and puff assuming that my child is just out of control.
    I have been out and had people make rude comments, and it really pisses me off, than I really let them have a piece of my mind.
    canthaveboys1

Answer by canthaveboys1 at 11:49 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I'm sorry you guys have to deal with this, people are rude and ignorant, they think they are better than everyone but are obviously dumb and were sheltered and taught to judge. YOu guys hold your head up do the best you can. Ignore the people don't even pay them attention at all.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 11:52 AM on Nov. 11, 2009

• www.cafepress.com

Search for "autsim" items.

I like the ones that say "I have Autism. What's your problem?"

"Yes I have Autism. Stare if you must, I'm not paying attention to you anyway."

"Is my child's behavior disturbing you? Ask me about Autism."

I love that site.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• You will always have people who are ignorant. Don't ever let them make you feel that you and your son doesn't have a right to be in public. You stay strong and know that not everyone is looking at you and your son because he is different it may just be that their curious and that they feel for you.
    Anonymous