How To Help With A 2 -3 Yr Old on Tempers .

my baby isnt 2-3 yrs old yet but the reason im asking on how to control what they do and their tempers is because : i have a nefew that is around 3 almost he is so mean to people he will go up and smack them , bite them , pinch um , he will get mad and just scream to the top of his lungs for atleast a solid 2 mins or so if you tell him to stop he just does it again ..

i dont want my child to be like that i think that if he is then i dont want to whoop him i dont believe in whooping a child , but what other way is there to get them to stop ..??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• thats very easy but his momma has to do it .I watched my nephew one weekend and holy crap every time he did not behave i grabed him sat him on my lap held him tight and did not allow him to move or talk untill he was calmed i can say he was on my lap all day throwing a hissy fit .the next day all i had to do was sit him on my lap and he was more precausious and behaved it helped he is still bad but when i visit his parents thow and i head towards him to put him on my lap he calmes down and behaves he knows that with my daughter he behaves .He was so bad that time out and standing in the corner didnt help and spanking well i dont believe in it at his point he was too bad and i dont think it would stop him it would have made things worse .
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 12:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I agree you can't LET them become this way but I also birthed a STRONG WILLED little guy.. regardless of how consistant and how much discipline he's hard, he tests me on the SAME things every time.. I do not think I would be able to cbe consistant if I had any one else to care for.. just him is a full time job. Love him with all my heart but he takes everything I have somedays.!
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:45 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I about had a heartattck! I thought it said how to help a 2 year old on TAMPONS! My mind is really testing me today.

Anyhow, there's no reason your child has to be so bad. Be consistant with your expectations and discipline and follow though. Yes, it does happen. Kid will be kids and push buttons and test boundries. But it shouldn't be like that all the time. Good luck
    Anonymous

• My son is 2 1/2 and we've been through all the hitting, biting, etc behaviors at various times. Consistent discipline is the best approach. I found that holding my son (as the previous poster suggested) worked well when he was <2. As he got older, we've started to use timeouts with short time periods. When I totally max out, I put him into his room for a couple of minutes. At this point, just threatening to put him in his room will stop most behaviors. If I tell him no and he throws a tantrum, I totally ignore the screaming and go on like nothing is happening. Telling him to stop screaming just fuels the tantrum (as does repeating whatever I told him that caused the tantrum in the first place). When he's playing and does it to others, immediately separate him from everyone. Reminding him of appropriate behaviors helps too (i.e. "We need to be gentle"). Be very, very consistent!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Your nephew sounds like he has never been listened to, so he has to get louder/stronger to get his point across...and by that time, he's just seen as a behavior problem.

Kids are not meant to be little things to control...but little people to be guided into maturity. That requires knowing them and enjoying them and listening to them and validating them and helping them find appropriate ways to communicate (if screaming works, then they will scream....if you scream, they will think that's appropriate).

It's about empowering them into developmentally appropriate levels of power. Giving choices and establishing and maintaining boundaries. It's about being matter of fact and not emotionally charged.

You'll do great....you are already asking the questions that need to be asked!

Kid_Coach

Answer by Kid_Coach at 1:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• No i think some are just dam spoiled and allowed to do what ever the hell they want and throw a fit untill they succeed and when they do parent renig their authority figure by just giving them what they to shut them up already
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 1:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• what about tampons lol .. now that would have been a thrower lol
    Anonymous

• oh he gets attinition .. he is the baby'd one of the family out of the other 3 kids .. he is like he gets mad at everyone if they just look at him .. that screaming sometimes just runs all over me he will scream to the top of his lungs and the few times i have saw his mom whoop him i mean whoop him he will laugh at her ..

if that was my child that would make me so mad ..
    Anonymous