Looking for "out of the box" ideas for selling a house on Wall Lake, SD.

So here's the scoop...I need to sell my house on Wall Lake. We bought it as a second home, thinking that we would use it. We totally remodeled the whole thing, and have only slept in it 5 times in the 3 years that we have owned it. (With babies and teenagers, it was just easier to go out there for the day, and just go home at night--considering our house is only 15 minutes from our lake house. Too much stuff to pack up and haul our there.)
Herein lies my delima..We have tried listing with real estate agents, to no avail. This is a 4 bdrm, newly remodeled, waterfront home, with geothermal heating, a double lot, & private dock, for $234,500. I am in awe of why we cannot sell it. I think part of it might be that if someone looks for "Sioux Falls lake", or Sioux Falls waterfront", it doesn't come up in a search..although it is only 9 minutes from Roosevelt high school, it still has the city name of Hartford on the address.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Home & Garden

• It might be the price tag.. Times are tough for people and that's not a cheap investment.
    Anonymous

• Yeah I have to agree that with the economy and unemployment rates there isn't much of a market for 2nd homes. If it's in a scenic area then you might want to consider renting it as a vacation home on someplace like vrbo.com. Then you can get income on it and wait out the market a bit more. VRBO= vacation rentals by owner. It's a great site that I use for our family vacations all the time. Might be worth checking out.
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Are you getting lookers but not buyers? If so, you may need to re-stage the house to sell. Sometimes a few furniture changes or just removing some stuff from the house can motivate a buyer.

If you aren't getting any lookers, something is wrong with the listing. The MLS should have the house listed with the nearby schools and major road ways. Check your MLS listing to make sure it is accurate.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 2:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• We are getting lookers...but not many. It was a goofy 2nd home purchase for us..however, it would be a great primary home for someone else. There are schools not too far away, and it is only 9 minutes outside of the city. The house is empty, with the exception of living rm furniture, and a bed in one of the downstairs rooms. Do you think it should be totally empty, or slightly-but more completely furnished?
    Nordstromgirlee

Answer by Nordstromgirlee at 8:41 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• could do with the season, im in brookings and ive noticed the seasonal trend with buying around here even. Lots of luck! Sounds like a lovely home!
    cherrygirl87

Answer by cherrygirl87 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2009