visiting the in-laws

so the inlaws consist of his older brother, his grandparents, and his cousins.
his older brother and cousins all dont like me
the first time I met them they were so mean to me, they never gave me a chance
so i figured i live an hour from them all, i never have to see them so i dont really care. well now since our son should be here soon he wants to go visit them in late december sometime, maybe early january so th baby will be older.

well I dont really want to see them. I know we'll probably end up staying from morning til night or overnight and Im thinking I dont wanna be stuck in their grand parents house with them but if I leave baby leaves, and were going so they can see the baby. ugh.

what to do? I dont care to have ppl who really are rude to me and have called me outof my name to hold my baby.

cont...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:00 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• one good thing about having a baby is that it actually makes any uncomfortable situations easier. think about it... you now have something to talk about: the baby, and if you want an escape, the baby is full of excuses for you: the baby "needs" a diaper change/nap/ or to eat. this helps when staying with in laws. good luck.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 12:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• PS
    Hubby doesnt and hasnt talk to his rude cousins and his older brother since they last called me some pretty viscious names, they only have met me once and jumped to a whole bunch on early conclusions about me.

anyway
    but he knows even though they dont talk they will try and play nice for the time being to see the baby...we both dont care for that to happen.
    Anonymous

• bite your tongue! they are family and outta see the baby! just smile and be naturally nice. if they are still rude, talk to your hubby about it and leave early. you dont deserve to be treated that way!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I would tell him that as long as they are respectful to you, then you have no problem but the first time that they are dis-respectful, you are gone. When you have a family, your mate and children come before other family members (including parents and grandparents). If he can't stick up for you then that's a sign that this may not be the relationship for you.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 12:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Smile be nice and if something is said or done out of the way tell your hubby and that he should do something about it, maybe he needs to give them a heads up, that they need to show you respect while you guys are visiting or else.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• OP

he hasnt talked to them because the way they treated me
    he and his brother, who they used to be best friends, had a pretty bad falling out
    my hubby cried all night because he was so hurt by the way they treated me.
    he's a good man, trust me.

Anonymous

• OP

do you think asking them to not come by would be a bit much? hubby doesnt want to see them either...its the grandparents who invite them over when we come and if we just e-mail them to let them know that we're going to be there so they should stay home, would that be too bad
    ?
    Anonymous

• Warn and alert you hubby that your pissed and feel sad how you are treated when you see them but you understand why you should .let him know to deffend you and make it clear your visit is a visit not to be bullied or for some drama.DOnt sleep over drive back before you see them eat at a dinner in the area so you wont stay longer or eat there because your hungry dont eat after because they can convince you or your hubby to stay for a meal .No matter what drive back dont stay somewhere you are not welcomed .GOOD LUCK
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 12:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• nope dont let them come to you you go to them because you have the option of leaving if your uncomfortible .
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I think asking them not to come would make it known that ur hubby is not allowing their behavior

maybe he can send them an e-mail saying, "if you cant respect my wife then dont go to grandparents house on blah blah date because we will be there and could spare the drama"

my fiance's family acted that way toward me
    i made the mistake of telling them they were rude and ghetto...hha dont ever do that
    just like pp said use the baby as an excuse to leave the situation
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2009