Flying with 4 and 5 year old, what to do about car seats?

I am going to be driving to the airport, need car seats. Then when we land in NJ I will need car seats. If I take our carseats we have to pay for them as luggage(i think) or hope they fit in the seats and meat FAA regs. Still I would have to carry our carry ons, the car seats and keep track of my 2 kids in a crowded airport. There has to be an easier way. Could buy cheap boosters(that would be $50 at least) while in NJ and driving on the way home. I know NJ law is a lot more strict than MO law when it comes to carseats and boosters. Does it matter if you are traveling?

mom2queenie2004

Asked by mom2queenie2004 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Travel

• we travel from tx to pa alot and we just check our 2 car seats. it hasn't ever cost us any extra. both of my children are still young enough to just sit on our laps on the airplane though. i couldnt imagine carrying on car seats! its hard enough checking them and picking them up. we are going to be flying back to pa again for x-mas, so i guess i'll see whether we get charged for the car seats this time or not. i think you can rent car seats though... but that would prob cost even more than it may cost to just check them on the plane. good luck.
    DRM0329

Answer by DRM0329 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• You actually can't use booster seats on a plane. Not sure why though.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 12:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I am taking a trip in Dec. with my 2 and 4 year old. We are using FAA approved car seats (it is in the manual) When we change planes I am asking for a porter to assist with carrying them. You can check the car seats as luggage at no charge. There is an FAA approved belt that will make a airplane seat belt a 5 point harness, it is about $70, but will greatly decrease how much you are carrying. Each of my girls will have a backpack with their in plane entertainment. If you have a stroller then can be checked as well at no cost. I would get on the website for the airline(s) you are taking and double on traveling with children and car seats.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Since your children are 4 and 5, I would buy cheap boosters in NJ. NJ law says children under 8 and 80 need to be in a booster or car seat. (I googled it for you) Your children will have their own seats on the plane, so I don't believe they have to have a car seat, but I would call the airline to find out.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 12:20 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• justluvin: booster seats can't be used on planes because they require a lap/shoulder belt to be used properly and planes only have lap belts.
    heatherann0221

Answer by heatherann0221 at 12:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2009