help with 8 year old tempers

My son who will actually be 8 in January has really been giving me a run for my money. He slams doors, tells me I don't love him ( which just hurts my heart) any suggestions?????

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• he is bored and mind is over thinking allowing him to be hurtfull and more sensitive .TALK TALK TALK to him over and over nag if you must tell him if he slams the door again your taking it down and then you will walk in and out when ever you want dont allow him to go over you your the parent your the boss.get him involved in everything you do lol they hate it but they get more respect when they feel more adult .he wants to act like a big then be it have him help you do laundry and dishes that how i punish my kids
    hush84

Answer by hush84 at 12:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• You should wear his rear end out for slamming doors and the like. He has somehow gotten the idea that throwing a fit is acceptable behavior in your household. So you need to retrain his thinking on that. As for his telling you that you don't love him, that's a ploy used by just about evey child who has ever been born, the intent of which is to hurt you and make you sorry you made him mad. Parenting first and foremost requires that children respect and obey their parents' authority. You can then transfer that authority to others like teachers, coaches, principals, etc., by letting him know that if he gets in trouble with any of them, he's in more trouble with you. Left to his own devices, he will never respect anyone except himself, and that is not a good thing.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My daughter slammed her door - once. We took it off the hinges for 2 weeks, no problem since with THAT. The thing that worked best with my kids was taking away their "screen time"

Answer by missanc at 6:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• first - take a deep breath! Next, you will have to be MOM and lay down the law. Kids are pretty darn smart, but moms are always smarter. Physical discipline does not work for all moms and all kids, but you are Mom and you have to be one step ahead of your kid physiologically - what wears him down? what is he sensitive to? Also, I know this probably sounds far fetched - but BOYS are very susceptible to foods - what is his diet like? My son was a holy terror, still can be at times, but I started eliminatingprocessed foods, red dyes, sodas, etc - NIGHT AND DAY! - as well, read up on ADHD, ODD etc - he may be showing some signs - these disorders start showing up between 6 and 9 years of age... Good Luck and you can always contact me for more input on how I dealt with my son, always great to get ideas from others...

AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 6:57 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Aww, he's testing you, seeing what he can get away with. Explain that it's OK to be angry, but not OK to slam doors. Have him tell you exactly why he thinks you don't love him and how you can show him that you do.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 9:00 PM on Nov. 14, 2009