What is normal behavior for terrible twos & how long does it last?

There are days he's very calm, other days he's very hyper out of control. My son is 26 mo. old . He also has speech delay, tantrums all the time, very hyperactive,likes to spin the wheels on his toys, watches the fan go around, touches the hot stove , acts like he is deaf but his hearing is fine, head banging, throws things, rocks on rocking horse for hours at a time, very independent wants to do it by himself, now he has sleeping problem thats driving me crazy need help.

dpksirish

Asked by dpksirish at 12:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• Um...what you're describing isn't totally normal for the "terrible twos". You really should have a talk with your pediatrician about having him evaluated by a developmental pediatrician. I'm not saying there is something wrong, but...yeah, get him checked.
    Anonymous

• speech delay no normal at all. what you describe doesnt sound normal at al.. my dd is 2 and yes she is hyper alil but she doesnt do any of that stuff. she is very dependant and thats normal. but if i were you i would be worrying about autism. the rocking horse for hrs, watching the fan,the wheel thing. not good signs at all
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 12:26 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• you could have described my son at that age! We had him evaluated at a birth to 3 program because of his speach and they explained it a bit. The important thing is my son DID grow out of it! He is 3.5 now and most of those behaviors have gone away mostly or completely. The Speech therapist DS saw said that the ignoring thing may be that the words don't make sense. The tantrums are at least somewhat attached to being frustrated. I would suggest you get him assessed for autism simply because it will open doors for services that will help him. We just kept working and it was just in the last month that taking him to the store was not a nightmare. Its been three months since I could start trusting him to stop when I said so. I will admit he got to the stove before I could stop him and that stopped that. We still have tantrumy days but they aren't nearly as bad and I can usually figure out what he wants and cant tell me.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• feel free to message me if you want more ideas/advice or just an ear!
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 12:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Sounds like your child might have autism.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 6:26 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It cant hurt to have an early intervention program in your area do an evaluation on him. It may help you feel better. My son showed some of the same signs and more and they did an eval and said he has some minnor things going on like his speach being delayed do to regrestion when i seaperated from his father and some tacktile things. He has done Speach therapy for 1.5yrs and in the end he grew out of his tacktile quirks and is now 7 and in regular classes in school with no speach or other issues. Again testing like this never hurts you or your son.
    P.S. Terrable two's start at 2 and end at 21 :)
    amitygb

Answer by amitygb at 11:34 PM on Nov. 12, 2009