Need some general advice asap......

My husband is an electrician and makes really good money but lately work has been extreamly slow and hes been laid off twice in the past month and a half. We live pay check to pay check because Im a stay at home mom and my husbands the only one bringing anything home. We have had to borrow 1,000 from his dad and 600 from his friend in order to stay in our house and pay other bills while he was laid off. The first time he was laid off was for an entire month and we litterally looked everywhere immaginable for any kind of electrical work no matter what the pay was but there wa NOTHING and this is the first time this has every happend to my husband. He doesnt know how to do any other trade and cant work at a grocery store or anything because he has a fellony from when he was a teenager for drug possesion so thats out of the question, we have already tried. My husband is out looking at colleges today who have job placement and

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• I think your question cut off before you got done typing it.
    Anonymous

• OP.... and Im really proud of him but theres no guerentee that they will find a job for him while hes in school. Heres the thing, hes really wanting to get into some type of school but we have a three yr old and Im 4 months pregnant and Im really scared doing all this on my own. He will be gone basically 4-5 days a week cause he'll work during the day and then go to school untill like 11pm and then with a newborn and a three yr old its going to be so hard for me to do it all on my own. Should I just suck it up and do the best I can even if I loose my mind? I feel like I really dont have a choice because being an electrician isnt looking very stable and we cant keep getting laid off because we have a family to provide for.
    Anonymous

• Lots of places hire ex cons, especially if it was before he was 18. Juvinile records are sealed once you turn 18. If he's had a clean record for several years then it shouldn't be a problem, finding an entry-level job to help fill the gap while he looks for electrical work.

It might cost you more to go back to work than you will be making in childcare. Unless hubby will be home with the kids, that is. Or if you have family who wouldn't mind watching them for free.

These are hard times for everyone. All you can do is take whatever work the two of you combined can get.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:47 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• suck it up -------- your words not mine.

Anonymous

• I completely understand your situation. My dh hasnt been laid off but there are times when we have absolutely no money to feed either of us. My son still eats but we starve. And he has two jobs. But after being a stay at home mom for two years I had to go back to work. I know your pregnant right now but maybe you should start now to look for a job once the babys born or work while your pregnant. Id love to be a sahm for the rest of my life but for some of us it just doesnt work out and we just have to make some sacrifices in order just to get by. Because even though I think staying home is whats best for my son, making money to provide for him is also whats best for him. And I dont think its fair for my dh to work his ass off 7 days a week to be barely making it while I sit at home not making a penny. Help your husband. You can even get a job at home.
    Anonymous

• OP.....He was 19 so its not sealed and we will make more off of unemployement then we would off of minumum wage so hes not going to work for a gas station of something like that, its pointless. Its very easy for women on here to say oh it will be ok for you to take care of a newborn on your own and a three yr old if they dont have any kids or havnt had to be in this situation. Im hoping to find someone who has maybe been through this and maybe give me some insight.
    Anonymous

• Thats pretty rude. People ask questions for advice, not for criticism. Didn't your Mom ever teach you, if you have nothing nice to say why say it at all??
    Anonymous

• Im talking about anon: 12:52 BTW
    Anonymous

• OP... Thanks for the advice about me getting a job but the most I can make is maybe 9 an hr. I didnt even graduate from high school long story I dropped out when I was a senior due to some problems at home and no I dont have someone that can watch my son for free and frankly dont trust anyone to take care of my children any way. We have already talked about me working but what I would make alone would not even cover child care for one child let alone two. And my husband has never had to work his butt off so I have never been in the position to feel bad for him cause he makes good money if work was just more steady and he only works 5 days a week and every once in a while he would get some over time. Im not really getting any advice on the whole college thing so maybe I will ask some one else. Thanks any way
    Anonymous

• been there hun
    i know it sucks
    my situation was hubby got his hours cut, union protected his job, he brought in only 300 per week from 6-700 per week. so we were really bad
    this happened just after I got laid off and didnt qualify for unemployment since I was PT. I soon found out I was pegnant. this lasted GOOD 6 months. We took out a 4500 loan, borrowed 100 from my grandma, whenever there was a b-day when asked we just said money. moved int a way smaller place so rent could be managable. Now money is getting back to normal, I go back to my profession as of january and I will bring in close to 750-1k per week. So ppl are right things do work themselves out.

sometimes you have to struggle to get back to being comfortable, like we have had to.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 1:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2009