What Is Your Opinion Of This?

I thought it would be a good gift idea to purchase water purification kits and anti-parasite medications for third world families through a sanctioned program in the names of my neice and nephew in lieu of physical gifts for Christmas this year. When I asked my sister about it, she got angry and said that the kids would be disappointed if they didn't get a "real present". So I asked my niece and nephew what they thought about the idea. They LOVED IT! They looked through the catalog and decided that they would rather purchase chickens and bees (same cost). They were so excited, but my sister is angry that I went behind her back. What do you think about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Holidays

• Depends on how old the niece and nephew are plus if, you have kids, if you said do same in honor of your kids names.

Some people are just not into volunteer work and community service.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 12:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Who cares what the mom wants. If its really about what the kids love then you should do exactly what you're planning. And you are teaching the real spirit of the season which is GIVING and not recieving. I LOVE this idea! And that they are excited about this should make the mom so proud of her children!
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:54 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Whats the name of the catalog? How can we order one?
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 12:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I think that is a very neat idea. Some people are so into getting physical gifts that the forget there are a lot of other wonderful gifts out there. It sounds like you niece and nephew want it and it's great that they have you around to show them different ways to help others. Their mother will get over it.
    Anonymous

• I think you should have done what the mother asked you to do. If she said, NO. You should not have done it.
    Would you go out and buy the kids a horse? Just because you wanted them to have one. Even though the mom said NO?

Answer by louise2 at 1:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Even though the donations are a wonderful idea and it is great to teach children about giving, I agree with Louise that the mother's wishes should have been respected. Perhaps she could have been asked if it was OK to show the children the catalog, even if she could be there, too, to explain to them that this meant no physical gift from you to them. She might have even changed her mind about it and donated something herself.

Answer by Bmat at 1:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• to me it's a sad thing that she doesn't want you to do this. Especially if her kids love the idea. Instead she wants you to buy them a gift that can be wrapped up? I wonder what the reasoning is for it...
    maybe you could talk to her and find out why she is against it
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 1:43 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I think what the CHILD wants for Christmas is more important.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I think your sister underestimated her kids! It sounds like they appreciate the idea of giving to others.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 2:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• How old are the kids?
    DaphneMae

Answer by DaphneMae at 2:50 PM on Nov. 11, 2009