What do you feed to a 3 month old who wont take formula and breast milk is in short supply.

From birth, my daughter refuses to take formula and upon my return to work, my breast seem to be producing less milk, hence I was able to express only about 2oz each day. If she wont take the formula, is it ok to start her on pureed jar foods at 3 -4 months? She takes very little cereal.

Ja.no1mom

Asked by Ja.no1mom at 12:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Ask your doctor. But I dont think some baby cereal with formula will hurt.
    HcMomma

Answer by HcMomma at 12:54 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Maybe you can boost your output a bit. Do you pump first thing in the AM while feeding her? Do you pump on your days off? If you can boost you're out put to 5-6oz a day(for 8 hours away from baby) you can probably convince her to reverse cycle(since it sounds like she's heading in that direction anyway). Do you have any lactating friends who might donate some expressed bm? I would do that before starting on solids.
    Oh, call a lactation consultant and see if you can go in and have her check the size of your horns. You may need a bigger/smaller size.
    Arisce

Answer by Arisce at 12:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• You might try mixing the BM with the formula. My baby took it better that way. I'd also see what you can do to increase your supply - if you just started pumping it may take a little time to get it working right. When I started pumping I got very little BM the first few days, but I kept pumping (way more time pumping than I thought was normal), and after a few days I was getting at least 4 ounces everytime I pumped. GL!
    Anonymous

• i wouldn't give cereal or purees. i would just try to increase supply with pumping, but i know that can be difficult. i had the same problem. just give formula, if she is hungry, she will eat it. many babies will also adjust their eating so that they eat most from mom and eat less at day care. =)
    Anonymous

• i'm PP and i thought i would say that you can try pumping in the evening right before bed, and as soon as you get up in the morning, and also pump on the right breast while baby is at the left, etc. i know it sucks, but i really is short-lived.
    Anonymous

• try to increase your supply. take fenugreen & blessed thistle and nurse your baby as much as possible. at 3 months your baby's gut isn't ready for solid foods yet.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 1:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Keep offering formula. I don't think you can substitute with baby food yet. If she's hungry, she'll eat it eventually.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Baby food and cereal won't have the nutrients she needs. Keep going with the formula and/or try to boost your production.
    Anonymous

• You cannot sub with babyfood. Try getting some supplements to increase your breastmilk supply.
    Anonymous

• Well, some babies sort of strike during the day and make up for it at night. That might be an option for you is increased nursing at night. Anything you pump will tide her during the day.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:26 PM on Nov. 11, 2009