Where do babies come from?

I believe in being open and honest with sex and sexuality with my children in order for them to grow up and have healthy sexual relationships.

Today my 4 yr old son blindsided me with the age-old question "where do babies come from?". I told him "well from mommys uterus", he than asked "do I have a uterus", I said "no only girls", I could see the wheels turning in his little brain as he began to ask " well, how do they get in there?", I said "mommy's and daddy's put them in there", he said "how", I told him "by loving eachother".

He seemed a little confused and walked away. Therefore, my question is do you think I handle this well enough? How would you have answered the questions? I do not want to confuse him but I do not see it necessary to get into the nitty-gritty at 4 yrs old.

saysha100687

Asked by saysha100687 at 1:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I think you answers were wonderfully age appropriate. When he is older and asks again then you can give him more details. A little at a time until he is satisfied with the answers. Great Job Momma!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 1:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I couldn't have said it better myself! I agree with you and wouldn't have "gone there" with my daughter if she had asked either, she's 3. I think you said it just right for his level of understanding. Goob job mommy! :)
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 1:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I had a wonderful pediatrician tell me when my son was about 3 to 'answer the exact question they ask, don't offer up other info" The first time my son asked 'where do babies come from?" I said from inside of the Mommmy..he said oh..and walked away. It was several months before he asked more. Each time I answered exactly what they asked. Your answers to you son were perfect. You answered exactly what he asked without info overload.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• You did a good job. At that age they do not need any more explanation then that.

Answer by louise2 at 1:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Wow, you did a great job!! That's pretty good thinking for on the spot! :D
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 1:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Tell them what they want to know but think about it from their perspective. What do they understand? The graphics and anatomy aren't as important as a straight answer. He had no idea what a uterus was and he still doesn't. I understand why you want to be honest and give them what they want to know. I agree.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Yup! Great job!
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 8:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2009