Seasonal flu and H1N1 shot guestion

My 2.5 year old just got a seasonal flu shot last week as we get one every fall . We were told that if she got just the seasonal flu shot it would be better than none if she would get H1N1. I am a SAHM and we don't go out much at all and if we do go out DD stays in the car with hubby if I have to go in anywhere . My mom called eariler and told me that they are having a H1N1 clinic Friday morning for ALL kids under 18 free at the local fairgrounds and my mom wants me to take my DD and my 16 old sister to get the H1N1 vaccine. I really don't know if I want get her the H1N1 since they dont' know much about the reactions and such to the vaccine but then I also hear that it's basically made like the seasonl flu vaccine so if she has a seasonal flu vaccine isn't that enough ??? Is getting both vaccines worth it ?? I am just so unsure but then again I want me DD to be safe and don't want her to get really sick .

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 1:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Health

• The two shots are exactly the same. The only thing different is the strain of flu. So going from the seasonal to the h1n1 shot is like going from last years flu shot and this years. Made exactly the same just a different strain of virus.

The seasonal flus shot offers NO protection against h1n1 as is is a different strain. So it would be like saying that the seasonal flu shot covers the common cold. It doesn't. Two separate viruses. The reaction to the h1n1 would be the same as the seasonal.

I got the h1n1 for all three of my kids, 8, 6, and 2 a couple of weeks ago. Absolutely no side effects. My 8 year old is type 1 diabetic and we also get the seasonal every year.

hope this helps.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 1:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• heatheryn thanks for the info .......I do though wonder though would the seasonal flu vaccine "help" the H1N1 virus not be so "harmful" if she were to get the swine flu ??
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 1:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I compleatly agree with heatheryn. An as for the seasonal helping at all with the H1N1, it wont. They are two compleatly different strains. They shots are made the same but different strains.
    lexismommy07

Answer by lexismommy07 at 2:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Yeah the above info is 100% correct. It's the same vaccine, just a different flu strain, one shot offers ZERO protection for the other strain. So if you normaly have the kids get the seasonal flu vaccine and there have been no side effects from it, getting the h1n1 vaccine is not only a good idea but equally safe
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 4:16 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Go here: www.mercola.com

And a vaccine isn't "safe" if you're one of the unlucky ones that it affects neg.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 6:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Don't understand why if it is the same vaccine, one do 1 thing and the other do another. To me, then its 2 different shots. Anyway, I really don't believe in any of those shots. I have never ever had any of the famous seasonal flue vaccine, and thanks God never got sick. If a person get sick or not, also depends on how healthy their immune system is, which is the system that defends our body and the rest of the systems (cardiovascular, circulatory, etc) from bacterias, viruses, illnesses, etc etc. And that is what I'm doing consuming a product that has the property of elevating the immune system up to 437%, and that is the only product in the whole wideworld that has that capacity.
    adita1152

Answer by adita1152 at 9:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Yeah, cars aren't "safe" if your one of the unlucky ones to have an accident.

Food isn't "safe" if your one of the ones that choke to death.

You can say that about anything.
    heatheryn

Answer by heatheryn at 11:24 AM on Nov. 12, 2009