3 year old boy =sleeping problems.

My son, has a routine that weve been doing all his life. Nap at noon to 2:30 (his preschool also does this, mon-fri) and bedtime at 7pm. He will stay awake up until 10-10:30 at night, just laying in his room, singing, danceing on his bed, looking at books, occasionally coming out, (whre I put him right back in) 3 hours just AWAKE. Than he'll wake up at 3am and tell me its time to get up! His teacher says he gets really grumpy around, 11am and its not uncommon for him to fall alseep at the lunch table at school. HELP! I feel awful thats hes so sleepy at the wrong time of the day! I feel like Ive tried everything!??!?!?!? Warm baths, relaxing quiet time before bed, soothing smells, no snacks an hour or so before, warm milk....GGrrrrr.. any suggestions?

just1forme

Asked by just1forme at 1:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Ok, so this will sound odd but have you tried putting him to bed a little later and shortening his nap a little? I've found that if I put my son (who is 2 1/2) to bed too early, he isn't ready and will take forever to fall asleep (often until 9:30 or 10). He also is far more likely to wake up during the night. The same is true if he naps too long. We ended up with a schedule like this: Bedtime: 8:00 (he usually out within 10 to 15 minutes); Wakeup: between 7 and 7:30; naptime 1 to 2:30. Some days he doesn't nap at all and he'll be down at 7:30 and get up around 7:30. I've had to adjust his schedule (particularly length of nap) as he's gotten older in order to avoid bedtime problsm.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I agree. Our 3 year old naps from 12:30-2:30 at daycare each day. We don't even try to put him down until 8:30 pm or so because he is NOT ready before then. If we do try earlier, it is just an hour or more of struggling to settle him. He still gets 9.5 hours of sleep per night and 2 more hours each day....11.5 hrs. a day for a three year old is acceptable.
    TiffaniR

Answer by TiffaniR at 2:20 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I actually just started the 7pm bedtime a few weekd ago beacuse it WAS 8pm but he did the same thing, i thoguht maybe he was overtired? Maybe I should try going back? Thank you!
    just1forme

Answer by just1forme at 2:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Try skipping a nap once in a while so his body clock can reset itself. Thats a long nap every day for a three year old. They are starting to grow out of a long nap time at that age. I have three year olds that nap 3 out of 5 days and we've shortened them to 1 1/2 hours. It works great. Think about yourself. Your needs are different each day. Kids do well on schedules but they can't be so rigid that they can't be adjusted. Bed time at 7. That doesn't give you much time with your child. They aren't tired at that time if they are away three hours later. Maybe do an activity with them earlier in the evening so they are getting tired by 8? Go for a walk, play at the park, let them be outside and run around after the dinner hour... it will adjust itself.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I SEE MY FUTURE.... My son at 2 has been a fighter at bedtime ever since I can remember...we've adjusted the time 4 times now... he STILL Gets up at 5am.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2009