How much weight is too much weight gained during the pregnancy?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Never worry about your weight. I gained 85lbs. I was on bedrest for the and a half months. I lost my weight fast with working out after baby.
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 1:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• actually weight is something you are supposed to worry about. gaining too much is unhealthy, so is not gaining enough. typically you should gain 25-35 lbs, however if you are starting off overweight you should gain less than that. if you are starting off underweight, gain more than that
    Anonymous

• um anon i hope you get deleted.... who says she was worrying about herself and not the baby? what a mom does during a pregnancy affects the baby.

well there are recommendations for weight gain but really you should just try your best to eat healthy, not eat too much junk food, and get some light exercise in when you can =)

i don't think it's good advice not to worry about your weight at all. gaining too much weight can be bad for you and your baby, but there isn't really a set level for "too much". it's a good idea to talk to your midwife or OB about it.
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I would say maybe a hundred pounds, maybe two hundred.

When I was pregnant, I was not asked to be weighed. I know that I gained 65 pounds from self-weighing, but no one cared if I tried to tell them that, lol!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:48 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Don't worry about it!!! I gained 65 pounds while pregnant. Lost 25 within the first 2 weeks!! It was all water weight. Nothing I could do about it. And eventually lost it all while BF.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 2:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Lost 25 within the first 2 weeks!!! ....after he was born OOPS!
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 2:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• ok that answer did get deleted so i just wanted to clarify that i wasn't talking about anon 1:45! :)
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 2:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• you're typically (on average) supposed to gain a pound per week of pregnancy (40)... some women don't put it on til the end, some gain it gradually throughout their pregnancy. buuttt i've gained like 65 and my doctor told me that its perfectly fine. if you put on a large of weight rapidly, though, its not good. but your doctor should monitor your weight anyhow. if he/she doesnt bring it up at your appointments, just ask. they'll be happy to tell you everything you need to know.
    SammyJoB

Answer by SammyJoB at 2:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Thank You your answers have been very helpful
    NVNJMV

Answer by NVNJMV at 12:16 PM on Nov. 12, 2009