Co-ed teen sleep-overs?

Has anyone heard of this? My ds is 15 and has been asked by close female friends to sleep-over with a group of boys and girls, either in separate rooms or when the weather is warm in tents or campers. The parents assure me that they are well supervised and that its all innocent. Tell me what you all think of this new aged teen social activity.

oldmomof4

Asked by oldmomof4 at 1:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I think if it really is "supervised" then it is okay to let your daughter go. My little sister has had co-ed sleep overs at my house before. I make the boys sleep in one room and the girls in a room with me, that way I know that they are in the right beds at all time. Now if the parents aren't really watching them as they should then bad things could happen. I would make sure to talk to the parents who are hosting the event and make sure you trust their parenting skills.
    BlainesMommy09

Answer by BlainesMommy09 at 1:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• ARE YOU NUTS!!!!!!!!!! WHY DON'T YOU JUST SHOW THEM HOW TO HAVE SEX TOO.
    Anonymous

• I like Blainesmommy's idea. I went to a coed sleepover when I was in middle school and we all slept in the living room but my friends mom and sisters were right there the whole time. No sex or pregnancy there! It really does depend on what the parents idea of supervision is. Do they think just putting them in different rooms is enough or will they actually make sure they behave themselves?
    Anonymous

• what, I don't think so, I remember when I was that age
    heidi707

Answer by heidi707 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• No way... I don't know why the boys can't just go home after having dinner and dessert or something. They really don't need to stay over.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 4:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• When my stepsisters were teens we had a sleepover party in tents every summer with both boys and girls, BUT my brother was in the boys tent, my sister in the girls tent and my dad didn't sleep, he stayed on the porch all night. Also there was a mixed age group, my stepbrother ( the youngest) is only 4 years older than my son and nephews both of their ages, so I think the older teens thought about the little kids sneaking up on them if they did anything stupid. The only time there was a problem was this one teen boy showed up with someone who was invited and he brought alcohol, my dad found out and called his parents. After that they knew Dad meant business and didn't try anything stupid again. Even though the kids are all adults now they swear nothing ever happened.
    Anonymous

• Just say no if that is what your house rules are. Children learn from an early age if no means no. Protect your child. Sounds like you are really uncomfortable with the situation as I would be. The problem is the kids are going to give your child a hard time because they won't be allowed to go. Some kids start to sneak out and do things behind their parents backs. Keep your eyes wide open, stick to your rules and love your kids. They need you. Society is getting more and more lenient with what is acceptable. Guess I'm old fashioned but you can't unring a bell if you know what I mean.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 5:43 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Not at that age. Maybe before the kids were 10, I would but as teenagers, NO WAY!!!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• No way. I have heard of ppl doing this, but honestly there aren't very many other parents I would trust to adequately supervise this type of thing and I know how sneaky teens can be!

Answer by missanc at 7:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• We have done them, no boyfriend/girlfriends allowed and they were very supervised. My older sons are seniors and they have been to a few. I trust my sons.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 11, 2009