If you tried to nurse, but switched to formula, what was the reason?

My daughter is just about two weeks old, and she seemed to have the hang of nursing, but now she's eating very little, getting very fussy, and puking up a lot even when she's barely nursed. I don't want to give up, but I wonder if she would do better on formula? If you made the switch, what was your reason?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:43 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• only 1.5-3% of women dont lactate enough
    Anonymous

• spitting up normally has nothing to do with nursing unless you ate something that she doesn't like. around 2-3 weeks, they go thru a growth spurt and will be more fussy and want to nurse more to make you produce more. Don't give up. It is hard work but it can be done without formula. I would call the doc about the spitting up. And if you do decide to use formula, you may notice that baby will have upset tummy depending on the type of formula. It may take several different types before you find one that she can handle. Good Luck
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• my dd never latch on weel. i pump for 3mts andthen i switched to formula. with ds i been exclusevely pumping for 8mts now,. i regretnot pumping lonngerfor my dd but i didnt have a good pump
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 1:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• i agree with jademom. formula is a lot tougher on tummies so i would stick with the breastfeeding. is there a LLL in your town? or can you talk to a lactation consultant? try joining a breastfeeding group on here and ask them. maybe someone else has had this problem. gl!
    Anonymous

• It could be a milk allergy, so be sure to check with your pedi. My friend's son was moved to soy formula early on.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 1:50 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I gave up nursing when it seemed like everything I ate made her gassy and miserable. After about 3-4 weeks trying to figure out what I could eat that wouldn't put her into agony, I figured that formula would be bettter. She went through about a week of constipation after starting formula, but worked out in the end.
    My other 2 babies didn't get overly gassy and I nursed them.
    Anonymous

• Give it a little longer, but maybe talk to your doctor. It "might" be reflux. Even if it is, you can continue nursing...I know someone who nursed a reflux baby for a full year (the baby did go on medication for it)

I switched because nursing was too damn painful. The pain was with each suck they made and went from the front of my breast and ran straight through my body to my ribs in back...it felt like a sharp searing poker going through me with each draw. (and there was plenty of milk there)

To the first anon...not that she will check back...no one said anything about not making enough milk. Stop your shit.
    Anonymous

• It sounds like your baby may have reflux! My son had that, go to the doctor so they can check her over. If she has it, they'll give you drops you can give her, and it soothes their throats so they can eat better!
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 1:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My first I nursed for 3 months. He was so cranky and upset all the time. He would throw up, not just spit up, it didn't matter what I cut out of my diet. He ended up on soy. My second I nursed for a month and he acted just like his brother. He also ended up on soy. On soy they were different, totally happy babies. Now my third (she is 3 months) I haven't had to cut anything out of my diet. She is a happy baby on breastmilk. So even though my boys can now drink milk and are fine, I really think that something was going on I just don't know what. Formula was better for them and for my sanity.
    Anonymous

• i had to go back to work, so he gets formula during the day and boobies at home and night! :)
    imamami05

Answer by imamami05 at 2:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2009