What can I do for my 12 month old? She is constipated!

I've recently switched her from regular formula to Enfamil's Next Step. This has caused her to become very constipated. For the past 3 days she has tried pooping, but has only had hard stools. Today, she's been pushing all morning and nothing!! I feel so horrible watching her cry trying to go! I've given her apple juice, and that helped a bit, but is there anything else I could try giving her??

carastacey

Asked by carastacey at 1:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Ooo, the doctor told me to give my son prune juice when this happend!! Not just straight up, but mix half prune juice half water. Seriously WORKS LIKE A CHARM!!!!
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 1:53 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• And my son was the same way....crying, even making his little butthole bleed. I felt horrible, but the prune juice works every time! Good luck!
    mamie2shoes

• Prune juice or baby food prunes, works every time!
    JSWeible

Answer by JSWeible at 1:54 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Since she is over 12 mo she doesn't need Next Step or cow's milk. You can stop both and she should stop being constipated. Cow's milk is for baby cows.

She can get protein from meat rather than milk and calcium from other foods. Vit. D is not a vitamin at all but sunshine. If she doesn't get sunshine she can get vit. D from foods or vitamins.

Once she is not constipated you can try giving her cows milk products like cheese, yogurt, and ice cream. Kids usually like so many cow's milk products that drinking cow's milk is too much for their systems.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I always gave my son prune juice. I never mixed any of my son's juices with water and they always make him go. Also Peas work like a charm for my son. Never thought of peas as a stool softener, but they do the trick for him.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Try a suppository. And I would go to whole milk instead of the next step.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I'd give graham crackers a try. . . they have worked for my son. I also say marshmallows but they are a choking hazard so you have to be very careful if you do give her any, cut them up small, and watch like a hawk.
    chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 2:54 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Gaill - my son doesn't drink cow's milk. He is allergic to dairy. Guess what...he still gets constipated from time to time. It happens for other reasons besides cow's milk products.

That being said, this did just happen to my son and we gave him prunes. I bet that the prune juice would be good. I will pick some up in case it happens again. He was so pitiful trying to go! :( You can also warm the juice up a little before giving it to her.
    Anonymous

• graham crackers and marshmallows? Seriously? Never heard that before!
    Anonymous

• Dont give that next step! If you look at ingredients they've added corn syrup to it for sweetener! But I totally agree with others about prunes. Thats how I solved my SS's constipation problem. make sure she gets lots of fluids as well. (Juice and water) GL to you its hard to watch our babies hurt.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 2:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2009