My daughter is 16 months and won't say Mama

She says other things, but not much. Every time I say "mama" she says "Baba" And it's not like she's trying to copy me, it's like she's being a pain in the butt. It seems like its a game to her. The only time she says Mama is when she's upset and wants me. Otherwise, she never says it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:54 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son didn't say mama until he was 2! He said dada at less than a year.. Since she can say it when she wants to (i.e. when she's upset), it would appear to be a game. The more you focus on it, the more fun it is to her! She'll probably start to say it sooner if you just let it be.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Ah, my 2.5 year old is calling me by my first name right now.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 1:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• If she says it when she is upset then she is saying it.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:01 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I agree with momofryan. Let it go. Ignore it. When it is no longer a game, she'll say it.

She is able to say it. That she plays a game about it shows a sense of humor.

Answer by Bmat at 2:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My son said "Dadda" all day long, but only said "Mamma" when he was upset. It was frustrating as I wanted him to say "Mamma" with the same excitment as he did "Dadda". It went on for a while like that, but eventually he started saying "Mamma" the same way as "Dadda". Now that is is 13months he says either one, and I'm not just the one who's getting yelled at when he's upset. Your child will say it more eventually. Some children have an easier time with other sounds and use them more. It may also be that she is playing a game with you. Play it along with her. Maybe the more sounds you make the more she'll make, and you might eventually get her to say what you want.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Jademom07 So funny lol!!! My friend's son used to say to strangers uh oh mommy got b o!!! op, I agree with moms that she's calling you mama plenty. She's just not talking with you. Enjoy it many more laughs and hardships to come. This is nothing really to worry about. Enjoy!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 2:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My son didn't start calling me "mommy" until a month ago. LOL He was 2 in August!! :-)
    TristansMom440

Answer by TristansMom440 at 3:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It can be frustrating to not get the acknowledgement as a parent that we'd like. I feel your pain. My 21 month old daughter gets a kick out of calling me by my nickname which is "Nell". she hears my sister and my mom and brother call me this all the time so she thinks its the funniest thing. Ive learned not to sweat it. Even though she doesn't call you mama she still knows who you are and that's whats most important.

chanel0709

Answer by chanel0709 at 3:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• As long as she knows how to say it, that's fine. My 15 yr old only says mama when he really wants me to hold him. Other than that, I would be lucky to hear mama once a day. He sure does say dada or da-ee (daddy) a bunch of times a day!
    tabc531

Answer by tabc531 at 4:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• So she says mama when she wants to not when you want her to. Not a big deal... its a power struggle you don't need to have. Pick a bigger battle. Be patient.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:13 PM on Nov. 11, 2009