Question for Pagans only please

Merry meet my Pagan sisters. This is a serious question.
For those who belief in faeries etc., what kind of gifts/offerings do you leave for them if you would like to let them know they are welcome.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Sweets! Jellies and jams, fruity treats.

http://www.miniature-gardens.com/attract-fairies.html

Fairies especially love dairy products, bread, cakes, and cookies.
    Fairies love water. Fountains, bird baths, ponds, and streams will all attract fairies.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 2:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Thank you :)
    Anonymous

• My dear, faeries are not welcome in my home. I had one in my apartment and he was nothing by a hassle. I sprinkle iron filings around my home and in the entrances to keep them out. Now, I do have a small garden and a large yard, where they are welcome. I leave them cakes and other home made sweets, but I would never welcome a fairy in to my home. They aren't the sweet and spicy faeries you see on TV. Real faeries are nasty and troublesome! Not the type of house guests I would invite in.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Sweets & pretty areas for them to hang out in. They don't much come inside my house because I have cats, so I leave any "gifts" outside.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• On the subject of fairies. I recently read that a book called "Field Guide to the Little People" by Nancy Arrowsmith has been re-released. It is billed as a collection of folktales concerning all kinds of fairy folk. I don't like the fairy books you find now-a-days based on people's personal ideas & flights of fancy, but I am interested in folk knowledge of fairies.

So my question is, does anyone know anything about this book? Is it legitmately researched & collected folktales?

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 2:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• nysa - I looked it up, but can't find to much about that book. From what I can find it's more along the lines of the encyclopedia of fairies... But as I said, I don't know to much. I'll keep looking!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Thanks I haven't found any good discussions about it online, so if you find any I would appreciate the link.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I found a review:

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3CW66VOMUMCH4

And this (scroll down to see what readers think)
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/200526.Field_Guide_to_the_Little_People

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Thanks for the links, so far it sounds like it is worth reading at least.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 3:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• * nysa00

nysa0...

On the subject of fairies. I recently read that a book called "Field Guide to the Little People" by Nancy Arrowsmith has been re-released. It is billed as a collection of folktales concerning all kinds of fairy folk. I don't like the fairy books you find now-a-days based on people's personal ideas & flights of fancy, but I am interested in folk knowledge of fairies.

Not pagan, but I hope you will let me slide by for this. I had a copy of that from when it first came out. I love that book; it was one of my favorites in my folklore library. It is more like an encyclopedia of different types of the Folk and their natures. I recommend just about anything written by Katherine Mary Briggs, too.

Sorry...this has always been an obsession :O) Back in the day, my plan was to go to Memorial University for my doctorate in Folklore.

Anyway, it's a great book, I highly recommend it.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 3:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2009