2 cm dilated now what? How long should I have to wait before labor?

tell me what you think I am a first time mom so it is all new to me! HELP need advice

tiffandgene2009

Asked by tiffandgene2009 at 2:04 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Are you having contractions? I was 2cm dilated for a week with all three of mine before I went into real labor. Everyone it different. It could mean you could go today.
    Anonymous

• A woman can be dilated for months prior to laboring. Or go from 0-10 in a couple of hours.
    No way to know.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 2:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• you may still have a while i was 4cm dialated with my second for almost a month before she was finally born
    jen699

Answer by jen699 at 2:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• With my first I was at 2 for days before I went into labor. But everyone is different. It's just a very small amount to be dilated, especially with your first.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:07 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• you cant really pinpoint a time, labor is different for women. with my daughter i was in labor for 42 hrs, my friend was in labor for 8 hrs. i was stuck at 2 cm for a day before i progressed to 3cm. its a waiting game. just sit back and relax and wait for your precious baby to arrive.
    Anonymous

• No telling. Some women sit at 4 cm for weeks, some don't dilate at all before labor. Just ignore that number, it doesn't mean anything. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 2:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• No way to know, unfortunately! I was 2cm dilated for 2 weeks...then almost 3 cm dilated on my due date...ended up getting induced 6 days later.
    mamie2shoes

Answer by mamie2shoes at 2:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• i was 4cm at 28 wks deliver 10 wks later with my first.
    with my second i was 2 cm at 32 wks deliver at 37
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• ditto to what the others said. it could be months. of course if you are already 41 weeks pregnant, you obviously have several days or less. :) gl!
    Anonymous

• You could have a day. You could have 3 more months. No way to know. You can also shrink back down to 0.
    elleinad

Answer by elleinad at 2:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2009