What Kind Of formula would you recommend for supplementing My Breastfed baby?

I have to go to the doctor 2morrow and I am unable to pump enough for my son.. I can only get a few ounces of milk out. So I will have to supplement I have read that Enfamil Premium is really good. What do you recommend. I will only be giving him formula when I can't get him breastmilk ..

emturner

Asked by emturner at 2:19 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree with taking the baby with you. I have had a lot of medical problems since my youngest was born and almost always took him with me. Sometimes I took someone to hold him. He waited in the waiting room while I had surgery for cervical cancer when he was only 3 weeks old.
    I had to have IVs many times while he was an infant and took him with me and nursed during the IVs.

In the morning breastfeed one side and pump the other. First thing in the morning is when you have the most milk. Even if you only have a few ounces just leave the breastmilk. If can take weeks for a baby's system to recover from just one bottle of formula. It would be better for the baby to have water of be hungry and wait.

Here is a handout about the hazards of just one bottle of formula.

http://www.naba-breastfeeding.org/images/Just%20one.pdf
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Why not just take him with you? If he's never had formula, you may find that he won't take it either.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:20 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• If you put him on the breast, you will produce more. Yes, it's hard at first, but he will get the hang of it. But, I'd suggest Nestle Good Start if you're on a budget. Emphamil or Similac if not.
    Anonymous

• Enfamil premium lipil is what my son takes. I would try it first.
    Anonymous

• All formula is the same. There's not one better or worse, it's just what your kid tolerates.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 2:31 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I give my baby Similac. She did not take Enfamil for some reason she would spit it back out. So i changed her to Similac and she loves it......
    lilangel_4206

Answer by lilangel_4206 at 2:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Gailll you're rediculous! Supplementing with formula will NOT hurt your baby. I just love how people act like formula is poison. Get real. My baby is a very happy, healthy formula fed baby.
    Anonymous

• what si your pumping output ? cuz 2 oz is normal

DONT LISTEN TO GAILL SHE HAS ISSUES. MY FIRST WAS ONLY F FAND SHE ISNT DEATH.I ALSO SUPPLEMENTWITH MY DS WHO IS BF AND HE IS STILL ALIVE. SHESI FUL OF USELESS INFORMATION. I USE GOODSTART PROTECTE PLUS. ONE BOTTLE A DAY.
    CAN U PUMP TODAY. PUMP WHILE YOU NURSE
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:05 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• i use enfamil if you go to the website you can sign up for enfamil family beginnings and get free samples so you can try it for free first. my baby likes it. there is nothing wrong w/formula. my friend couldn't breast feed and her son turned as just fine so just try it and im sure your baby will develop just fine.
    heatherkrigbaum

Answer by heatherkrigbaum at 3:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I supplement with Enfamil Premium Lipil which is what the NICU gave me.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 3:59 PM on Nov. 11, 2009