Two month Old visit to doctors?

Ok I want to just see what you guys felt when you took your baby to the doctor at their 2 month old check up? My daughter is 3 months old but the clinic didn't have any days in October so they gave me one in November. I know that she gets her shots and I want to know what else. To tell you the truth I'm a bit nervous cause I'll be taking her by myself since my fiance has to work. ANY ADVICE

lilangel_4206

Asked by lilangel_4206 at 2:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It helps to give them some Tylenol before the shots. Just do it when she gets weighed because that way it will be in her system when she needs it the most. Your doctor can tell you how much is right.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 2:41 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• it really wasnt that big of a deal. of course nobody likes to see there baby get shots & cry but it was over so quick. he got the shots, cried, i picked him up & calmed him down and that was that. the DR gave me a script for tylenol but i didnt even need to because my son never even got a fever at all. so dont worry!!! GL
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:44 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• See the thing is that I'm scared to give her any medicine if its not recommended by the doctor. I'm a first time mom so I'm still learning whats ok and whats not
    lilangel_4206

Answer by lilangel_4206 at 2:45 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• The nurse will of course measure length and head size and will take her weight. The doctor will basically look her over make sure everything looks normal. He/She will order the shots and that is about it.

I have learned from experience start writing down any questions you have now as you think of them. Take that piece of paper with you or you will leave forgetting to ask something. Don't be embarrassed about making a list trust me they have seen it a lot.
    Anonymous

• It's just the basics, a few shots, weight and length, check for milestones, physical exam (check hips eyes ears and all that) Nothing to really worry about. She may cry, but if have a breast , bottle or binky handy that should help, the doc may let you nurse or bottle while they do the shots, But trust me you will both be just fine...and yes the tylenol should help to. Just call the doc and ask how much. Should be given at least half an hour before shots. And they may suggest every four hours after for the next 24 hours, I would ask.
    phantomphan

Answer by phantomphan at 2:46 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• nothing, iw as taking her to the doctor, i held her down to get her shots, all was well. i have never been scared about checkups with my kids
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 2:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I don't know if you know the dosage forTylenol but according to theTylenol chart my doctor gave me it is 0.4mL of the Infant Drops that is for 6-11 lbs/0-3 months.
    melmel83

Answer by melmel83 at 2:51 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It's usually not even something that takes very long. For us the wait in the waiting room is the longest part. They'll ask you questions about her eating, dirty diapers, sleeping, that kind of thing. I didn't know to give Tylenol either before shots with my first but if you are not comfortable with it, don't. Wait until you get in the room and they will usually ask if already gave it, when you say no they will give it. You can find out the appropriate dosage. It's not a fun visit with the shots being given but it is over quickly and you pick up your baby to comfort them and go home. I find these visits kind of exciting, I get to find out how much my kids weigh and their length.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 2:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Fortunately, after my births, the midwives came to my house for the postpartum visits, so I didn't have to take them out. :-)
    The kids were weighed, measured, body checked over, listened to baby... not a big deal. It was pleasant.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• They check the stats. lenght, weight, head size. check body and genitals for growth and irregularities, check hips by moving the legs around. any shots necessary if applicable. ask you if you have questions or concerns and may ask about milestones (does your child do this, or this, etc). It's not too big a deal. PS it might not be the best of ideas to give tylenol becuase the fever is just a sign that the body is fighting what was in the shots. I means baby is building the antibodies. Baby may not be as effective at this if you use tylenol. Just a thought.
    Anonymous