Can anyone help? I need some ideas...

Hi. I am a mother of an 18 month old boy. I have been trying to teach him ABC, 123 and stuff like that. I was wondering if someone had any other ideas on what to teach him and what are some activities we can do to help him learn more. And even activities he can do when he is with his grandparents. I will take any suggestions.

Thanks.

fulltimemomi

Asked by fulltimemomi at 2:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I found wall posters at the Dollar Tree that had the alphabet and numbers on them. They had pictures (abc) that represented each letter...A=alligator, so I would ask her to find the alligator and then we could find the "A" and so on...you can do this with flash cards....as for counting, just count everything. Coins when you put them in the piggy bank, toys as youput them away...
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 2:39 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Along with counting everything, you can tell your little one what words start with and what sound each letter makes. EX: "Nose starts with an N nnn nnn nose" There are some great books out there with this type of thing. We have one for our son and on each page it is an animal with something that starts with the same letter. EX: "Cat's Congas" When we read it to him, we tell him the letter, make the sound and then read the page and at the end of the book, there is a page with just the alphabet so we sing at the end with him.
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 3:47 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• He is WAY to young. He literally can not retain that kind of information or understand what it all means. If you absolutely have to, sing the abc song. Their cognitive development isn't able to use and understand that. Work on catching a ball, clap your hands to a rhythm, walk on a line, do somersaults, hop on two legs, hop on one leg. Wait until your child is old enough. They have too many other areas of their development they are working on at this age. If you absolutely need to do something, read to them. Expand their vocabulary as much as possible. When it comes time for them to learn letter recognition, quantity, math and numbers, it will come so easy and it will go so fast! Let them be little while they can. Remember when they move ahead in one area of development it is common for them to regress in another. Two steps forward, one step back.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 4:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My son can point out over half of the letters and sings along to the ABC's and he is 19 months. He doesn't say all the letters, but he has the rhythm down. I don't think it is ever too soon to teach your children their letters or numbers. Do what you think is best, but don't let someone tell you it is too early. He may not catch on right away, but you can always get him familiar with numbers and letters.
    Anonymous

• my 17month old can point to all her body parts, any animal in a book. she says words but only once in a great while other times she just bables and makes noise.i wish she would talk more words.best time to do these things i think is when they are in the bath tub.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I have to disagree with Lifes-a-dance. There is no problem with teaching your child their ABCs, 123s, colors, or other things at this stage as long as you are making it informal and fun. It is hard for me to give examples of activities because we have never sat down and had "teaching" time. We would play with his alphabet blocks and at random would ask "what's this?" give a few seconds and then tell him "this is W", We would point out letters, numbers or objects on our walks around the block or through the mall. We read books that had letters (Dr Seuss ABCs, The A book, The B book, ) or ones that had numbers (Hippos go berserk). We point out pictures in books or around the house and tell what/who it is. The biggest thing is make it fun, informal, and don't push. He will learn when he is ready.

chrissmom734

Answer by chrissmom734 at 4:41 PM on Nov. 12, 2009