What do you get out of this bible verse?

Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.
Psalm 42:11

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• That I shouldn't be sad, fearful or depressed because God is in control. He wants me to trust that in spite of the way I feel, He is always there.
    Anonymous

• Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God.
    Psalm 42:11

That if we put our faith and trust in God our soul has nothing to for for we are saved.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 3:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Well, Psalm 42 is one of my favorite psalms, I love verse one " As the deer pants for streams of water, so I long for you, O God." I love how the psalmist is so passionate and desperate in his affection for the Lord, despite the pain of his circumstances. Our faith and longing for the Lord pulls us through our difficult times, as we search for Him to come be our Savior--it is a strong hope. He is like the lighthouse light that pulls us to safety in the storms.

So that verse to me, is basically a guy asking himself why is he so depressed by his circumstances, because He knows the hope he has in God. When you read the whole psalm you see that the solution is to remember all the other times that God has taken care of him.

When I go through trials it is so important to look back and remember all the times God has been there for me in the past. It gives me confidence that God will continue to be with me no matter what : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 3:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I agree with cinnamonmom
    sheilathemartyr

Answer by sheilathemartyr at 6:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Sounds to me like a man is having a conversation with his inner self, and his heart, mind, and soul are not on one accord. I think that he is convincing his soul to follow his mind, and not his first nature.

IDK, to me it seems as thought this verse is an example of man battling with his inner knowledge of self, and his only reasonable explanation is to continue to praise his Savior and God.

Its an encouraging verse to those who are religious, and an intreging revalation of testimony for those who are spiritual.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 7:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I get that you are, once again, trying to push your mythology on others. But to answer the question, I see another promise that your god has no intention of keeping.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 4:29 PM on Nov. 12, 2009

• so who is saying this verse?
    Anonymous