Should I take the paci gradually or "cold turkey?"

My husband and I have decided that enough is enough and that our 18 month old needs to say goodbye to his paci. He really rely's on it to get to sleep so should I gradually reduce the amount of time he gets it or just gather up all the paci's and throw them in the trash?

justluvinmyson

Asked by justluvinmyson at 2:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Either way its a tough ride. They are going to be sad. Be ready to substitute it with something else that you feel is appropriate... a blanket perhaps. It is a security item. It makes them feel all warm and yummy and if you can try to substitute it gradually for a week. Then cold turkey with the paci. I have a story though, when my daughter was about 2 my mother (grandma) decided it was time to potty train my daughter. (Way too early I might add) But grandma said it was time so I thought go for it and lets see what happens. My daughter was waving by by to the paper and sneezed. She had her paci in her mouth and down it went! Yes, it caused a traumatic episode with potty training because the potty ate her paci. Lesson learned... keep the paci away from the potty during potty training!! Good luck!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 3:50 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• If you haven't already, only allow him to have paci in bed/crib. - all other times be sure it is out of sight. I did this with my son, and around 20 - 21 months he really didn't need it at all. I put him to bed without it one night, and since we had no problems I gathered them all up and tossed them. Your son may naturally ween himself in the next few months, and if he does it will be the easiest and least traumatic route. GL!
    Anonymous

• I am generally in the "cold turkey" camp on most things but I've heard of some really cute ways to get kids to give up the paci. The Super Nanny had a cute thing she did about collecting all the paci's and giving them to the paci fairy to give to other kids -- then the paci fairy leaving a new toy. Another thought is to tie it into Christmas. We were once in line at the mall to have our son sit on Santa's lap. The mom in front of us pre-arranged with Santa that her twin sons would give him their paci's and then he had Colts football helmets for them in exchange. Maybe you could work out something cool like that too? My 5 year old still sucks his thumb. I can't take it away from him and everyone assures me that he'll stop when he's ready -- HA -- hasn't happened yet. Good luck to you!
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I took DS away cold turkey only bc we couldnt find them after two hours one night!!! he did cry for about 20 mins that night to fall asleep, then after that he was great!
    Does he still use one for nap? You may start taking that one away and see how he does, then graduate to bedtime.
    But who knows maybe just taking it one night may be all he needs.
    Wow, that wasnt all that helpful was it? lol I'm sorry. I guess it really depends on how your son reacts to it if you just take it during nap and go from there. GL!
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 3:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• i took my sons paci away cold turkey, he cried for 5 min and episode was over. not every kid will be that way, so you just have to feel him out. maybe you can trade the paci for something else he wants.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My daughter was the same way with her paci, it was a major help when it came to her nap and nite nite time. After a few forgetful moments where her father or I would forget her paci it was hell to pay. So we decided to go cold turkey and took them completely way around12months.... after a week she completely forgot about it unless she came in contact with another child that had one but it was pretty much that easy. She had to adjust to going to sleep without it we did have to cuddle with her a little more but that was a bonus for us to get her away from the paci.

chanel0709

Answer by chanel0709 at 3:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Get it to where your child ONLY uses it at night.
    I did my son cold turkey after that. One night he had a stuffy nose so he couldnt suck on it since he was breathing through his mouth. That night I just put them all up in the cabinet where he couldnt see them and he was fine.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 3:28 PM on Nov. 11, 2009