H1N1

Okay everyone so I heard all this stuff about the h1n1 vac.. at my daughters last doctor appoinment they asked me if I wanted them to have the shot and I told them no. I'm not to sure on any of the info on this. Should I of let my girls get this shot or was it okay for me to say no. I guess what I'm asking is does anyone know the side effects of this and anyone whos kids have gotten it has there been any problems?

leemarie18

Asked by leemarie18 at 3:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• You need to do the research on the shot yourself and decide for yourself whether you think it's right for them to get it or not.. Don't come on here asking others what you should do. IMO though the shot is far too new to trust noone knows the full side effects or long term effects of it.. Not worth it to me, my son had the swine flu and was fully over it within a week and a half whereas with the shot who knows what is gonna happen a month, two months or even years down the road as a result..
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 3:06 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• okay well there was really no reason to be rude about it. I was just asking what others has experienced thats all
    leemarie18

Answer by leemarie18 at 3:08 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I agree that you should do the research yourself rather than asking people on here. Basically all you're going to get is people's OPINIONS on it here. PP said she wouldn't. I, on the other hand, would get my daughter vaccinated if she were old enough. She's only 3 months old. My husband and I are planning on getting ourselves vaccinated as soon as it's available in our area.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 3:10 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My opinion, no, no one should get it, it's to knew, they don't know what damage it can cause. There has been limited testing and the pharm companies have all been given immunity, so when people have adverse reactions, you can't sue anyone. THOSE ARE FACTS!! I do agree though, you should do your own research. They are recommending this for pregnant women, even though the package inserts say there has been no testing on pg women and they have no idea whether or not it will harm the fetus.

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM182401.pdf
    http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM182242.pdf
    http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM182406.pdf
    http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/Vaccines/ApprovedProducts/UCM182404.pdf
    Anonymous

• For the 5 millionth time, this is not a new type of vaccine!  Every year the CDC finds out what strain of seasonal flu is going around and makes a vaccine for it. This in no different,only this year we have two strains seasonal and h1n1. There have been well over 100 deaths from h1n1 most have been healthy children, that is they had no chronic health conditions. I will gladly risk any complications from the vaccine which once again is produced in the same way as the seasonal flu shot, rather than risk death of my children who already have asthma. 

teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 3:55 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Both of my kids got it. The 22 month old had the shot and my 4 year old had the mist. We all got a little cold after, but given that I didn't get the shot and we were in line outside in the cold and wet with a bunch of other young kids, I don't think it is from the vaccination. We all recovered easily and are fine now about 3 weeks later. We did it because this is a flu shot like all the rest. It was created the same way; so the risk are the same as any other flu shot. We felt it was worth it.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 4:02 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It's made the same way the regular flu shot is. If you are OK with getting regular flu, it makes sense to get this one too. Had we known of it earlier, it would have been included as one shot. It's just a variation of the current numberous verisions of the flu strands. Technically, every year it's a new flu shot and a new strand and therefore a "new shot". i got the mist a few days ago and haven't had any side effects yet. My daughter will get it when the shot is available.
    Anonymous

• I think you need to research and come to your own conclusion. Different people seem to have different (and strong!) opinions on this one. Personally after my own research I thought the risk of the disease outweighed the risk of the shot and my kids (and myself) did get vaccinated. We all had minor side effects- sore arm where the shot went in, and two out of three kids ran a mild fever the next day. That was it.
    Anonymous

• im 24 and my lil one is 17months we both got the shot,it has the same side effect as the regular flu shot.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:35 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My daughter had H1N1 in May. It was the flu!! 3 days of fever (the highest was 102.5), a few more of cough and congestion, one really gross bloody nose. Neither my husband nor I contracted it.
    We are focusing on prevention. You can adjust your lifestyle a bit to build up your immune system. Not getting enough sleep can lower your resistance to disease. So can being dehydrated, so be sure to drink at least 8 8oz glasses of water a day. Alcohol, meat, dairy, highly processed foods like white sugar and white flour all weaken the immune system. Foods that build up the immune system include: fruits, vegetables, whole grains and legumes.
    If you choose to get the H1N1 vaccine, I strongly urge you to (at least for small children) have your health care provider order the single dose preservative free vaccine. The H1N1 vaccine has Thimerisol/mercury.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:07 AM on Nov. 12, 2009