Do you think that is becoming a "norm" to place children in Daycare?

We definitely seeing more and more children place in Daycare since young age. Should we expect in the near future for Daycare to become a norm?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:09 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it already is a norm. I've been a SAHM for over a year now and just the other day someone asked me if I was going to find a daycare for my daughter. Her not being in daycare is odd and wierd to the people around me.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 3:11 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• i guess, if you have to work for a living or go to school, yeah then it would have to be the norm
    Anonymous

• It's norm for my family.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:12 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I think that is becoming a norm. Last time I went to the supermarket with my toddler. The cashier ask me if I was looking for Daycare and pointed me to the center in front of the store. Why would she think that I needed a Daycare.
    Anonymous

• MamaChamp. Good that you said it. I was thinking the same thing.
    Anonymous

• I think its becoming the norm bc school has demanded more out of kindergarteners. Seriously, the work they are doing now they didnt teach till 1st and 2nd grade when I was in school. And i'm not even that old!! lol I worked in a daycare, and preschool is teaching letters, numbers, sounds, colors, etc.....and its the things you used to not learn until you got into school. I already knew how to read in kindergarten, but i remember kids were still learning letters and sounds at that time. So daycare (at least daycare centers, not as much in-home daycares) has taken on the responsibility of teaching the basics. Thats my opinion as to why its becoming normal anyways.
    AmandaN1

Answer by AmandaN1 at 3:17 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I think more and more mothers want to work, rather than need to work. So, there are more kids in daycare at a younger age. I want to be at home and if we have to have a tighter budget. that's okay...I am the one raising my babies.
    Anonymous

• It has been the norm since the 80's, yeah it's happening more now b/c more people are having kids and the population is growing, and more moms are having to work too. I am a SAHM for now but soon will have to go back to work, I would love to stay home and be the only one raising my kids till they start school, but not everyone can do that.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 11, 2009