Does anyone believe in the fact that it's okay for kids to get scraped knees and elbows?

I look around at kids playing now a days.. And there is always that one kid that is basically wrapped in bubble wrap. LOL. My son does wear a helmet when he rides a back in teh street or at the park, but not in the driveway. Our trampolines don't have the net around it and my son has NEVER owned any knee padding of any sort. When I was growing up, I never wore helmets or knee pads or anything like that! And I turned out just fine. I just wonder if anyone believes now that kids are made to get tiny scratches and bruises and when they do.. It won't kill them!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Scratches and bruises are fine but broken bones are not.
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 3:18 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Agree with pp
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 3:20 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Scratches and bruises are one thing, breaking a bone or getting hit by a car with no helmet is another. People are smarter nowadays. I would never let my kids ride their bikes with no helmets, nor would I let them bouce on a trampoline with no net.
    Anonymous

• We, as a nation, worry too much. People laugh at me because I think that "scars add character." I don't go running around after my kid trying to scoop him up before he hits the ground. I think it's ridiculous frankly.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 3:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My kids had helmets and knee and elbow pads and still managed to have many broken bones and stitches. I think it is wise to use the protection that is available.

My youngest was so cute. He had a Teenage Mutant Turtle helmet when he was a toddler and wore it when riding his big wheel. He needed it. He loved that helmet and wore it a lot. We have several cute pictures of him in it. He still managed to need stiches in his forehead several times during the years he was wearing that helmet.

We were lucky it didn't cost us anything to go to the ER. I have 3 sons. In one week we had 2 broken bones and the youngest shoved a masking tape price tag from a yard sale item up his nose. I was afraid they were going to call CPS.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• lol I know whatchya mean. I try to prevent mishaps but Im not going to lock them up until they are 18......boo boo's happen.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 3:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I'm an ex-gymnast. Trampolines are extremely dangerous. They don't even have them in gyms anymore (they are ground level now with a hole underneath.) I wouldn't want one even with the net. Don't be foolish with a trampoline. Someone can break their neck. I have nothing against scrapes and bruises, that's part of growing up.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I think in most states its required to have the safety netting for the trampolines. If you don't have one and get hurt I don't think ur insurance will cover it and your house insurance will go up. Thats what ive heard anyway.
    kitten914612

Answer by kitten914612 at 3:23 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• scratches and bruises are fine like, it would extremely hard for a child to avoid those things unless they were as you put it wrapped in bubble wrap. Aslong as playtime isnt too rough or just outright dangerous those are the marks of all children. Signs of growth and understanding.
    chanel0709

Answer by chanel0709 at 3:24 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Agree! I see the point in some stuff, but it like takes away the fun so much that I figure why bother to own it at all. My mom says when she was a kid they would ride down the hill on bikes, barefoot and without a helmet or common sense. True, that's dangerous (altho I have no doubt WAY more enjoyable until you fall, cause I always detested helmets), but I think we have gone a little TOO far in the other direction nowadays. I think there is a balance. I just don't see the point in a helmet for a tricycle in the driveway or sunscreen to walk to the mailbox. But to each their own.
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 3:30 PM on Nov. 11, 2009