How do you do it?

How do you CIO? At what age do you start?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:20 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in General Parenting

• We never did. It just felt wrong.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:06 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• What is CIO?
    RoostersMom4

Answer by RoostersMom4 at 3:22 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• CIO = Cry It Out
    Anonymous

• You just don't. Full stop.
    If you love your child and don't want to risk their mental and physical well being.
    Anonymous

• Never.

My grandson used to cry all the time as a baby & the only way my son could get him to take a nap would be to hold him on his chest in kind of a swaddle. It would take a half hour of crying to get him tasleep. They were living with me and we were trying different things to try to make him happy. He was about 7 months old.

I decided to show him James Blunt on YouTube. He quieted right down. After a few James Blunt songs he would fall asleep on my lap. He is 14 mo now and I watch him a couple of days a week. One of his favorite things to do is watch James Blunt on YouTube. He will watch some other things like the roller skating babies and the video with Jack Johnson and the baby.

I don't know if YouTube is hurting his brain but he is dancing to the music, claps, and interacts.
    It's got to be better than CIO. Maybe he will be a soft rock star! His favorite toy is bamboo salad forks he uses like drum sticks.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:32 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• You don't! Is there a reason why you feel the need to let your child CIO? there is always a way.
    Anonymous

• OOPS. It's Jack Johnson and the monkey. It's a cute song, you should check it out.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:34 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• It's hard but you can try a couple of things to see what will comfort them and if nothing does and they aren't hurting then let them CIO, it's about doing what's best for your child.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:43 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• OP here -
    I don't cio.... I just can't. I am curious how others do it.
    Anonymous

• There is nothing wrong with CIO. Just because others choose a different method doesn't make this one wrong and their right. They are just different. If your child is cared for, changed, feed, been loved, etc. it's oK to let them cry. Not for hours on end! BUt crying is OK and healthy for a child. Sometimes kids learn early that they can get mommy or daddy to pick them up when they cry. Sometimes they fight sleep. Sometiems they are over tired and nothing youdo seems to help. Let baby cry for about 10 minutes, go check on them, calm them, let them cry again. It's really not a long process and if it does take more than half an hour or an hour of this, then there may be other issues. Or you just have a stubborn child! :) Again, I"m not saying to abuse your child by letting him or her cry locked alone in a dark room for hours! Short periods of time to help them get it out of their system
    Anonymous