friendship struggles

My 9 yr. old has PDD NOS and we have years of struggles with med stablization. explosive behavors, aggression. He's in 3rd grade this year and thankfully no longer on a behavior plan at school. Making and keeping friends have always been a struggle and end up with him losing friendships. He looks "normal" and acts normal in so many ways (Normal is so relative!) that parents and kids don't always get it, yet the PDD NOS gets in the way. He just lost his best friend as his mom said they need to take a break. I completely understand, but it hurts so much to watch him cry. He doesn't quite get that getting mad at them on a whim ruin friendships. Instead his response is, "well just because I act this way, doesn't mean they should." I need words to give him and words to comfort him. I know I can't make it all better, but I feel guilty because I don't always know what to say to help him feel better.

Ksmom718

Asked by Ksmom718 at 3:36 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Relationships

• :( soooo sad, I can't believe parents are cold haearted about letting their kid befriend someone who can't help the issue they have, but is still a good person, it's a cruel world and people judge sooo bad, let him know the truth how people really are, and you'll know when you have a true friend and who isn't a true friend, we all face that issue through life.
    MommaRox4683

Answer by MommaRox4683 at 3:52 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• What is PDD NOS?
    Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 4:03 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• From another parent's perspective, do I want my child playing with an aggressive child? Depends on how aggressive is defined. If the child is going to cause bodily harm to my child, then the answer is no, I do not want my child playing with a child who could seriously injury my child. Sorry.

Have you looked into support groups for children with this medical condition? That might be a good way to network and have your child play with other children.
    Anonymous

• I also have a son who has Add ADHD and ODD . He has alot of things going on. And is being tested soon to see if there are other problems. But My son can be a handful, And at times he is Agressive when someone makes him angry, Like if they are being mean, Or they push him. Or things like that. My son dose not make friends easy, But when he dose they are his good friends. My son is 9. And I have learned through all of this a few things.
    One, If someone dose not want there child to play with yours, Its there childs loss, You know how wonderful your son can be, And its sad they dont see it. Two, Its not your childs fault. And its not yours. And Three, That in time things will change, Your son will make friends and become more of a relaxed person. he will someday beable to play with others,. and when that time comes he will be an even better friend to his friends. Just have some Patients. and faith. Things will all work out.
    MOMofTwo_99_00

Answer by MOMofTwo_99_00 at 5:37 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Add me if you would like to chat, I can relate and would love to share advice....
    Patty M
    MOMofTwo_99_00

Answer by MOMofTwo_99_00 at 5:38 PM on Nov. 11, 2009