First dentist trip?

When did your child go in for his/her first dentist visit? My son is 13m and has 8 teeth. He does take flouride and we brush his teeth (the best that we're able! haha)

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 3:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think they say at one year.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 3:47 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• I was always told to take them once they start getting teeth... My son had his first visit around 10 months old but didnt get his first cleaning until he was 2 I think.
    AngeLnChainZ

Answer by AngeLnChainZ at 3:49 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• my daughter went when she was one. they just looked in her mouth didnt do much. she had her first cleaning at 2 and they did a flouride treatment then also.
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 3:50 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• My daughter went at 13 months. They just looked at her 8 teeth, and gave her a fluoride treatment. She got her picture taken for the office wall and a free tooth brush a sticker and a little bag to carry it in. She hates having people messing with her mouth but with her father's dental history it is very important for us to keep up with her dental health.
    Devory

Answer by Devory at 5:21 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Did your kids scream and cry when they went??? I still havent took mine yet...but is wanting to make an appt. tomorrow...But my daughter doesnt like doctors that much and strangers so how do u calm them down when there their?
    nicole0709442

Answer by nicole0709442 at 7:33 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Took DS at 1yr cuz the iron had stained his teeth. Found out he has enamel hypocalcification. I straddled him on my lap. Dr and her asst looked in his mouth and scraped off the tartar staining his teeth. He screamed, cried but it was over really quick. Told us to come back at 2yo.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 7:58 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• They say one year or when they start getting in teeth. I took mine at 15 months. Really they don't do alot at that age, but it helps get them used to seeing a dentist and I think it helps lesson the fear once the dentist does have to start doing things (like teeth cleaning). I really love my son's dentist, he is very kid oriented and does everything he can to make him feel comfortable and safe. And to top it off he gets a toy to take home w/ each visit, which the kids get to pick out. They range from really nice plush stuffed animals, to toy cars, etc etc. Much better than giving a sucker like they did when I was a kid. ;)
    mama2conor

Answer by mama2conor at 10:25 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• my son is 17 months and hasnt gone yet. he has 14 teeth. his doctor said to take him between 1 and 2 but my dentist said no earlier than 3 so I guess i will wait until then unless problems arise
    Jnc91

Answer by Jnc91 at 4:26 PM on Nov. 12, 2009