Binge eating

Every couple of days, I have this incredible urge to eat a large amount of sweets. I find myself going out of my way to go to the grocery store and buy a whole box of doughnuts, a whole cheesecake, or some other kind of dessert and binging on it. I feel a little guilty afterwards, but it never stops me from doing it again. In fact, I get this satisfaction from binging. What is the reason people binge? How can I stop? I dont want to go to a doctor or therapist for it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:42 PM on Nov. 11, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Cravings are often a sign that our body is lacking something important.

You may have a nutritional deficiency, like iron or magnesium. You may have an insulin resistence, you might be sleep deprived, you may not be eating a balanced diet. You should have some basic bloodwork done to rule out a medical issue.

The homeopathic remedy Argentum nitricum can help with sweet cravings. There is another nutritional supplement that helps with sweet cravings, but I can't remember what it is. If you send me a message offlist, I will look it up for you.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:19 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• I have this problem too. You know what I did? I sold the car. I have to walk in and out of town for groceries, and that stops me from just "popping in" to collect a bunch of junk food.
    Anonymous

• I also do this. It's like sometimes I just can't get enough. I don't even take the time to enjoy the taste, it's just gross!
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:47 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• wow...i understand your point anon..but selling the car? that seems a little extreme..
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 4:40 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• eat fruit. you can binge on pineapple or kiwi. you crave these sweets bc you lack nutrition. a few fruit binges and you will be right as rain.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 6:56 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• realize that you are FEELING the urge to binge. jot it down. we eat for comfort not to live. sad sometimes. when you notice that you want to binge tell yourself, no. you dont need it. occupy your mind with something else. do something. cravings only last for a few minutes until your brain statrs thinking of something else. so really, just stay strong for theshort moments that youre wanting to binge. this too shall pass! gl:)
    evilive

Answer by evilive at 7:45 PM on Nov. 11, 2009

• Selling a car is not extreme, heart disease and obesity is extreme.

Whats more important? Your life or your car when you are dead of heart disease or heart attack?

I used to have this problem until I found something to replace that satisfaction, that feeling you get in your brain when you are STUFFED!

http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1548279/Garunteed_Weight_Loss

Behavioral therapy helps too, but not everyone for sure.

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 2:21 AM on Nov. 12, 2009

• eat raw food, takes time to digest. If you are breastfeeding, get the milk out of you - pump etc. I noticed being hungry then. No food real needed after it. It is the way of becoming fat, your milk stores in your body and new cells ask for more food to grow, just alike with a baby.
    baby133

Answer by baby133 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2009